Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Brisket Marinade and/or Dry Rub

Old 06-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Lgaddy44
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Brisket Marinade and/or Dry Rub

Smoking my first brisket this weekend and after reading many methods and opinions, I wanted to poll some HBT members on their ideas.

Is it preferred to marinade or brine the brisket? If so, what have you found to be a proven winner?

The same for dry rub. I'll surely be using a dry rub, but wasn't sure if i should also marinade/brine, beforehand. I typically use the same dry rub for most of my meats, but I'm open to some new ideas in that area, as well.

Maverick Moon Miner Brewing

Old 06-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
jaxxzero3
Recipes 

I have not used a marinade or brine with brisket before, and I had mixed results usually not getting the desired juiciness I was looking for. A mopping seemed to help a little but it took forever because I kept letting the heat out opening the door to put it on.

I was thinking down your lines of a marinade or brine for a while, but isn't a brined brisket = corned beef?? But my next brisket is in a couple of weeks and I think I am going to try the tinfoil wrap (or Texas Crutch) as discussed here:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/b...s_brisket.html

(I like a lot of what he has to say about brisket)

Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
sr20steve
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Search butchers BBQ brisket injection, it's a award winning injection. I use that and slap yo daddy's general purpose rub (but most will do fine). The important thing about cooking a brisket is to get the internal temp to 195-200 so the cologens break down and render the meat tender. You will know when the meat is rendering when the thermometer just glides in like butter. I also like to foil the brisket for the last couple hours. I'm into BBQ like I'm into brewing and they are very similar in that a little attention to detail goes allong way in quality....good luck!

Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
edasaurus
Recipes 

I second the use of Butchers BBQ injection. If you don't want to use that or need something sooner, you can use beef broth. I've never marinaded or brined.

I also foil too. It helps speed up the cooking while keeping the brisket moist. I usually add some home brew when I foil as a braising liquid. You can also use broth.

And I also determine doneness of the brisket by feel more than temp. Good luck!