Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #391
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by christpuncher123
How would this turn out with Danstar Munich?
Not really too sure, that is a hefeweizen yeast.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #392
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If you want to brew a kolsch you need kolsch yeast. It would be like brewing a hefeweizen with an American ale yeast. This style of beer is very yeast dependant.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #393
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yes and no... our club recently had a Kolsch competition and a Belgian Strong using Belgian yeast took second place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
If you want to brew a kolsch you need kolsch yeast. It would be like brewing a hefeweizen with an American ale yeast. This style of beer is very yeast dependant.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #394
RmikeVT
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey,

I bought ingredients for a different beer and decided to brew up this one instead. I am basically sticking to the recipe, except for the late additions.

Do you think there would be any problem with a 1oz 4%aa Addition of Styrian Goldings at 15 mins and 0 mins. (thats 2oz)? Then I was thinking of dry hopping again with some Styrian Goldings. I know its not a kolsch, etc -- but I was more concerned with getting grassy flavors or something off from the overhopping. I typically don't use Continental/Noble hops for dry hopping and late additions. Nothing against it, just haven't really tried. I thought this would be a good chance to try it.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #395
Carros
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Brewed this up yesterday, had to sub Hallertau for the Tettnanger though since I found out my LHBS missed those on my order. Other than that everything went well, until my daughter decided to add a bottle cap to the fermenter as I was racking into it. So hopefully this still turns out ok.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #396
LCB
Recipes 

Default Bee Cave rises again

We recently dusted off this recipe and brewed a 5 gal batch. We were pleasantly surprised to find it tasted more like a Kolsch than what we expected given the original posters comment about it being more like a pils. Very crisp and nutty finish - we're going to do a 10 gal batch this wknd so we have a stock going into summer!

We're also going to enter it in the NYS Home Brewers Competition - figure there won't be an abundance of Kolsch entered, right?!?!? I'll report back once the winners are announced in Aug 2013.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #397
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB

We're also going to enter it in the NYS Home Brewers Competition - figure there won't be an abundance of Kolsch entered, right?!?!? I'll report back once the winners are announced in Aug 2013.
Yeah it's pretty good stuff. I entered it into our county fair and got a first place out of 4 Kolsch's

Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #398
PintOfPlain
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just brewed my first batch of this. Scary yeast this Wyeast Kolsch yeast - serious Krausen never seen so much action in the fermenter ever!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2715297085.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	119009

Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #399
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

That is a really weird/cool carboy! Never seen one with such a big neck.

Don't be surprised if that thick mucous-like krausen takes a long time to fall or your airlock keeps bubbling for a very long time. I usually do a week at low temp (low-mid 60s) then warm up to 72 and it just keeps bubbling away the whole time. After a couple of weeks you can give the carboy a swirl and the krausen will fall to the bottom. This yeast just doesn't like to flocculate.

I just brewed a batch of this, my LHBS just got a new mill and my crush wasn't the greatest so I boiled an extra few minutes before adding hops and kept it at a very vigorous boil. Chilling now, will check OG soon.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #400
YeastieBoys
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but make sure to lager for awhile. There's a big difference between the 1st month and the 2nd month.