Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #371
curry767
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8rphan View Post
How would you say this beer compares/differs to the Alaskan Summer Kolsch Ale?
Just looking at the numbers, Alaskan obviously put something a bit darker in there - maybe Munich? The Alaskan Summer Ale is 8 SRM, while this recipe is 2 SRM.

Also Alaskan say they use a blend of European and Pacific Northwest hop varieties. I'm guessing the European for bittering and the Pacific Northwest for aroma.

I've been searching high and low for a recipe that clones the Alaskan Summer Ale.

Cheers

Dave

Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #372
yourhuckleberry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this up all-grain on sunday and pitched the yeast at midnight. My first home-brew.

I didn't have the DME to make a starter so I just use one vial of white labs yeast for a 2.75 Gallon batch.

The carboy is in a cold room ~15 degrees and I am insulating the carboy with towels.

For the first couple days the ambient temp outside the carboy consistently read 64 degrees F. It was a little slow to start but at 12 hours there was a thin layer of Krausen. Then there was a very thick and active Krausen and plenty of very active yeasts in suspension.

Wednesday morning we had a cold snap when I checked the carboy it was at 60 degrees and the Krausen had diminished. Today, thursday morning the thermometer is reading 59 degrees and there seems to be a lot fewer yeasts in suspension and those that are there are moving quite slowly.

Is this normal? Am I losing heat because the fermentation is slowing naturally? Or is the ferment slowing because the ambient temp is too cold and dropping? Should I raise the temperature in the room & shake the carboy to get the yeasts active again?

Here is a picture I took this morning:

Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #373
brewfreeordie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I brewed this up 2 weeks ago (70 for 3 days, then the garage which averaged around 45-50F) and just put it in the fridge to cold-crash it. I used the prescribed yeast with a 2L starter. I started with an OG of 1.054 and will end up around 1.01 so not too bad.

It's clear, it's a beautiful, and very crisp. I'm going to end up brewing this one 2x in a row because I can already tell this will be a favorite.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #374
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhuckleberry
I just brewed this up all-grain on sunday and pitched the yeast at midnight. My first home-brew.

I didn't have the DME to make a starter so I just use one vial of white labs yeast for a 2.75 Gallon batch.

The carboy is in a cold room ~15 degrees and I am insulating the carboy with towels.

For the first couple days the ambient temp outside the carboy consistently read 64 degrees F. It was a little slow to start but at 12 hours there was a thin layer of Krausen. Then there was a very thick and active Krausen and plenty of very active yeasts in suspension.

Wednesday morning we had a cold snap when I checked the carboy it was at 60 degrees and the Krausen had diminished. Today, thursday morning the thermometer is reading 59 degrees and there seems to be a lot fewer yeasts in suspension and those that are there are moving quite slowly.

Is this normal? Am I losing heat because the fermentation is slowing naturally? Or is the ferment slowing because the ambient temp is too cold and dropping? Should I raise the temperature in the room & shake the carboy to get the yeasts active again?

Here is a picture I took this morning:
I think the answer is - both. Once the vigorous fermentation slows, less heat is generated, and the temp drops in a cool environment. This then signals the yeast to start dropping out and to enter dormancy, slowing fermentation further, and the cycle continues.

If you are at final gravity, then you could just leave it. If the yeast weren't entirely finished cleaning up precursors then this might result in off flavors. I would regardless at this point put it somewhere that you can keep the fermentation in the mid to upper 60's, even higher into the low 70's is probably ok at this point since it has already likely done all the growth and initial fermentation. Then check the gravity after a total of 10-14 days and see where you are gravity wise.

My 2 cents

Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #375
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just finished brewing my modified version of this tasty brew.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1966755449.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	87609  

Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #376
tsname
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just realized I made a stupid mistake in measuring out my grain bill. I make 2.5 gallon batches, so I have it at 3.5# Pils and 1.25# Wheat. I accidentally didn't make the conversion in weighing out the grain and instead I have 3.5# Pils and 2.5# Wheat, I'm thinking it may not have the same body, not sure about the abv or color.

I'm going to proceed anyway and see how it goes. I'll just have to redo the original recipe some other time.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #377
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I made this a few months back and I've found the difference in taste between 4 weeks conditioning and 6 is huge. I will be making this again for sure.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #378
Vigo_Carpathian
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 8

what should be the sparge temp?

Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #379
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You want to raise the grain temp to 168. So depending on you grain and water ratios the water will need to be higher. You can use this calculator to figure out what temp and how much water to add to get to 168. http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #380
yourhuckleberry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kolsch Barley wine?

As you saw a few posts above this was my first batch of beer and I went all grain and a little fast and loose as I didn't want to get to mixed up in the details.

No hydrometer

I guess I boiled it VERY vigorously. I made a 2.75 Gallon batch and just bottled 1.5 Gallons (After losses to grub). Had a little taste 1 cup left in the bottling bucket and dang! I didn't take gravity readings (no hydrometer) but I'm guessing it's at least 7% maybe 8% or 9%

It sat in the carboy about 10 weeks. I'll give an update in 3 weeks when the bottles condition.