Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #261
rossi46
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rossi46's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pasco
Posts: 777
Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9
Guys, does it matter what type of pilsner malt you use? I am ordering from AHS and they have "German Pilsen," "Beligiam Pilsen," "Bohemian Pilsner," "German Pilsen," and "Premium Pilsner" malt.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I can't seem to decide amongst these. Was going to get the German Pilsen malt. any suggestions? Making this one for a golf weekend.
I used German
rossi46 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #262
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,183
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46

I used German
Thanks. Went with that as well. Also sub'd spalt hops for the tettnanger.
__________________
On Tap: Belgian Barrel Aged Barleywine, Da Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout, Hop Your Face Off IIPA, Catcher in the Rye Saison, "Wino-head" Nelsin Sauvin Gumballhead.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?
Dgonza9 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #263
LarsonLE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 177
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


I would love to brew this but I have one question. On AHS, they do not have perle hops, but I have read that both cluster and northern brewer are substitutes. Anyone have a reccomendation for which one to go with? The cluster hops have a slightly lower AA %, whereas the northern brewer hops have a slightly larger AA %.

Thanks.
LarsonLE is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #264
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,969
Liked 308 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE View Post
I would love to brew this but I have one question. On AHS, they do not have perle hops, but I have read that both cluster and northern brewer are substitutes. Anyone have a reccomendation for which one to go with? The cluster hops have a slightly lower AA %, whereas the northern brewer hops have a slightly larger AA %.

Thanks.
Northern Brewer has Perle Hops.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...lets-1-oz.html
EdWort is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #265
LarsonLE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 177
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


So does this look okay? I couldn't figure out how to add a half pound on Northern Brewer, so I just added it in the comments which is why it says 3 lbs.
http://imageshack.us/f/847/itemsr.jpg/

Is a single infusion mash different from a sparge? Should I add about 6.5 to 7 gallons of strike water, let it sit at 151 F, and then no sparge? Lastly, did you go with 1.25qts/lb of grain?
LarsonLE is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #266
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,969
Liked 308 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE View Post
So does this look okay? I couldn't figure out how to add a half pound on Northern Brewer, so I just added it in the comments which is why it says 3 lbs.
http://imageshack.us/f/847/itemsr.jpg/

Is a single infusion mash different from a sparge? Should I add about 6.5 to 7 gallons of strike water, let it sit at 151 F, and then no sparge? Lastly, did you go with 1.25qts/lb of grain?
Looks like a plan. Mash with 1.25 quarts per pound. Be sure to boil for 90 minutes.
EdWort is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #267
LarsonLE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 177
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Looks like a plan. Mash with 1.25 quarts per pound. Be sure to boil for 90 minutes.
So I should boil for 30 minutes before adding any hops, correct?
LarsonLE is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #268
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,969
Liked 308 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE View Post
So I should boil for 30 minutes before adding any hops, correct?
Yep!
EdWort is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #269
LarsonLE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 177
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Yep!
Awesome, thanks. How much sparge water do you normally use? My last question, I promise.
LarsonLE is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #270
Toivo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quinnesec
Posts: 63
Default


Just racked this to a keg and tried a sample. Came out a bit drier than I expected probably due to mash temp was a little low at 149. Should still be be good for the hot weather we are having right now. Thanks for a good recipe Ed. Next up your house pale ale.
Toivo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Tiber's Perfect Kölsch Tiber_Brew Light Hybrid Beer 80 07-01-2015 05:41 PM
All-Grain - Clinger Kölsch Auspice Light Hybrid Beer 2 09-14-2010 04:58 PM
All-Grain - Kölsch terrorent Light Hybrid Beer 0 07-06-2009 02:59 AM
Knobbies Kölsch wwest Light Hybrid Beer 2 09-13-2007 01:57 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS