Straining hops from Pliny Clone - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Straining hops from Pliny Clone

Old 06-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Glen Cove, NY
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

"I just put the paint strainer bag in the bottling bucket and rack into it. After I'm down to the last gallon of wasted beer and hop sludge I just pull the siphon and remove the bag which is now loaded with hops. On the monster iipa's like Pliny I may end up with hop haze but I kinda feel like a beer that hoppy should have a slight haze(flame on if you must). I've never had any issues with clogging using this method and I frequently brew ipa's with a pound of hops and 4-5 ounces of loose dry hopped pellets."

+1! I have just started doing this and I could not be happier with how much better it seems to work than any other method I have tried. I use one of those big "sparging bags" that fits the bottling bucket perfectly. It even seems to take out a good amount of trub/solidified protein nastiness. Since this works so well I have now done away with using my hop bag in the kettle due to it being a PITA and I also feel that it was decreasing hop utilization.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jun 2011
North County, San Diego
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I whirlpool for around a 1/2 hr and have my pick-up tube off to the side and up off the bottom about 1/2", then i gravity transfer into my fermentor through a fine sieve. I get nice aerated wort with almost no hops/trub. Granted, I'm not using a pound of hops but I've brewed a few with 10 to 12 oz and it seems to work pretty good.