Just Skimming The Surface - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Just Skimming The Surface

Old 06-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Perhaps I've made too many soups and stocks in my life, but I instinctually skim the scum off the top of my brew as it gets to boil. I feel that, like a stock, or the world :/ , the scum rises to the top. Tannic, ultra bitter husk material & ****, yknow?
Like risidual blood and fat from bones...
Is there any evidence of this being a good or bad habit for brewing? Any chef will tell you it sure makes a difference in soups & stocks.
Thanx HBT folks! Love all the great info!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2011
!, !
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts

I don't bother with it, it will all settle in the fermentor

Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7612 Times on 5357 Posts

I don't scrape the "stuff" off of the top of the pot after the hotbreak as that is probably the stuff you're skimming off. After the hot break, I don't get any more scum.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Liked 439 Times on 350 Posts

I'm a chef and I find that it helps for beers that have a ton of hops... not so much for other beers.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
res291que

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Thurmont, Maryland
Liked 63 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingblackdoom
Like risidual blood and fat from bones...
Is there any evidence of this being a good or bad habit for brewing? Any chef will tell you it sure makes a difference in soups & stocks.
Interesting point would be an interesting experiment to try two exact recipes side by side one skimming hot break material and one not to see if you can taste difference

Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
ChuckO

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Keyrock, WV
Liked 142 Times on 101 Posts

I usually find that, by the time the hot break forms well, the boil is rolling enough that there is no scum on the surface. It's all mixed into the wort. It settles with the cold break and hops particles during whirlpool before pumping to the fermenter.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4678 Times on 3152 Posts

I usually skim it off if I'm not doing anything else. In a smaller kettle it seems to help keep the pot from boiling over as easily.

I'm not sure there any other reason to worry about it. The bubbles are just proteins and whatever gunk they happen to capture along with them. After a bit they clump together and form hot break (If I understand correctly). That stuff should settle out during fermentation and you are only seeing a small portion of the total in the scum.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
ghpeel
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Gainesville, FL
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I'd be concerned that the stuff you are skimming off is material that contributes to a good head. I used to skim, then read a bunch of guys like Denny Conn say that they never bother anymore, so I stopped. Beers seem fine.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 06-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
basilchef
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

im a chef too, i did the same thing out of instinct. haven't noticed a difference. I don't really know, but i feel its no different then a stock or soup/sauce and the foam is just the impurities rising to the top.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel
I'd be concerned that the stuff you are skimming off is material that contributes to a good head. I used to skim, then read a bunch of guys like Denny Conn say that they never bother anymore, so I stopped. Beers seem fine.
Copy that. I trust that dude. It's more of a muscle-memory kinda thing, i guess. I just caught myself doing it, and thought, " why am I doing this? I'm not making a stock. Stop thinking about work!!" cheers.