Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Never been so discouraged about homebrew (need some encouragement)
Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 503 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
Was this the thermometer?

This is the one I have and I'd hate for this to not be accurate either!
That's the one I use. I've used it along side a dial thermometer and found that it is accurate throughout its range.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #102
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 609 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 49

wow... that was a lotta reading.

I know how frustrating it can be. I almost quit brewing about a year and a half ago because I was getting an off-flavor on my new rig that I couldn't find (and I still get a ton of crap about it from my dear "friends"!!!) It is insanely frustrating though.

I dunno... my two cents is on the only thing I haven't seen anyone mention (maybe I missed it) is your kegs. Are you occasionally completely breaking down your kegs (removing dip-tubes, removed o-rings, etc) and giving them a good cleaning... and THEN a good SANITIZING? (cleaning and sanitizing aren't the same thing). It is really easy to get a bug in a keg and I think a basic infection will toss off all sorts of off-flavors.

I think your current hefe might be a good test case... if it tastes ok now... give it another couple weeks and see if it still tastes ok. If it does... it's probably not a keg issue. If it doesn't... then you may have found your culprit.

Good luck though... trust me, once you find it, it's going to be awesome to brew again.
Why the eff not... everyone else is starting a nano!!! I wanna!!!

Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.