How to create a Black IPA - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to create a Black IPA

Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
bobjohnson
Recipes 

Jul 2008
North of Chicago, Illinois
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Using the old Keep It Simple method, is it nothing more than taking your favorite IPA recipe and tweeking the grain bill to include about 5 % carafa II or III special?

Been looking at Stones Self Rightous recipes and 21 amendment black IPA's recipe and it "seems" like this was the approach.

Sound about right for developing one of these beers?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
alecoholic
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Olympia, WA
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, I use 8% carafa III in mine as the sole dark malt.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Liked 440 Times on 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
Using the old Keep It Simple method, is it nothing more than taking your favorite IPA recipe and tweeking the grain bill to include about 5 % carafa II or III special?
It depends if color is the only thing you're after.

Some people want chocolate and/or coffee flavor, increased roastiness, fuller body from oats, and to make use of darker crystal malts.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
BrewThruYou
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Ambler
Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Some people want chocolate and/or coffee flavor, increased roastiness, fuller body from oats, and to make use of darker crystal malts.
Yeah, I agree...it's a style that's hard to pin down. If you make it too roasty/chocolate, people call it a hoppy porter. If you make it taste like a regular IPA but dark in color, people call it an IPA with food coloring/sinamar. There's a middle ground somewhere, but a lot of people disagree on what that should be.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
SailorTodd

Recipes 

May 2011
Washington, DC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
Yeah, I agree...it's a style that's hard to pin down. If you make it too roasty/chocolate, people call it a hoppy porter. If you make it taste like a regular IPA but dark in color, people call it an IPA with food coloring/sinamar. There's a middle ground somewhere, but a lot of people disagree on what that should be.
Concur.

For my personal preference in creating a Black IPA, I want a little more sweetness and roasty flavor to show up, but not dominate the brew. In addition to Carafa, I whould throw a pinch of chocolate malt and crystal 80/120.

And thank you for getting the name of the beer style right...