Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Got my groove back....

Old 06-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Got my groove back....

After making a recent Belgian Wit...more like a Belgian Vinegar, I've been feeling a little down on my brewing. I went back to uber basics. I went above and beyond being anal about sanitation, pitching and fermentation temps and I have two absolute gems going now. I have a robust porter which is pretty much Ed Wort's which is one of the best beers I've ever made, and I have a Hefeweizen ready to bottle which tastes drinkable about of the fermenter.

It only took me 3 years into brewing to learn I can take apart things like auto-syphons and bottle fillers to sanitize them. I would often rack at bottling and leave the fermenter in the basement without emptying it or cleaning it.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You go Stella!

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

But seriously... I had a couple of those moments recently too.

However, mine were just major brainfarts. I was really tired and brewing three beers at the same time. Unfortunately I put 1 Tbs per gallon of 5.2 stabilizer in one of the mashes (Instead of 1 Tbsp per 5 gallons). That beer came out tasting like salt water.

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus