No bubbles - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No bubbles
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Jbatten22
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 29


Hey everyone.

This past Saturday, my friend and I completed our second all grain brew (kolsch). Everything seemed to go pretty well. We had a 60 percent efficiency which s what we were shooting for. We also hit our OG reading right on the nose. We got down to a proper pitching temp and pitched white labs German ale / kolsch yeast.

It's been 4 days and we still have no bubbles in the airlock. Should we be worried?

Thanks for any advice and info.

Cheers

Josh



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Frankiesurf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Medford, NY
Posts: 378
Liked 37 Times on 20 Posts


Bubbles have no bearing on fermentation. The only thing you should be concerned with is gravity readings.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
steinsato
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
steinsato's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 1,212
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Kolsch yeast is kind of slow but, I would expect some bubbling by now. Are you positive your lid and airlock are all air tight? The air isn't escaping elsewhere is it?
__________________
"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,881
Liked 1083 Times on 788 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbatten22 View Post
Hey everyone.

This past Saturday, my friend and I completed our second all grain brew (kolsch). Everything seemed to go pretty well. We had a 60 percent efficiency which s what we were shooting for. We also hit our OG reading right on the nose. We got down to a proper pitching temp and pitched white labs German ale / kolsch yeast.

It's been 4 days and we still have no bubbles in the airlock. Should we be worried?

Thanks for any advice and info.

Cheers

Josh
Is this batch in an ale pail type bucket? Those are notorious for leaks. If that's the case, no worries, the co2 is just finding the easy way out, which isn't the airlock.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
homebrewdad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,269
Liked 382 Times on 278 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Is this batch in an ale pail type bucket? Those are notorious for leaks. If that's the case, no worries, the co2 is just finding the easy way out, which isn't the airlock.
This +1. If no bubbles at all after, say, a week - take a gravity reading. If it has changed, you are fine (or if you open the lid and see krausen or krausen residue, you are fine).
__________________
Check out the priming sugar calculator, yeast starter calculator, and the beer calorie calculator.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Jbatten22
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 29

It is indeed one of the ale pale type. As far as I can tell the lid and airlock are on tight.

I will take a reading on Saturday to see if there is a change. I just wasn't sure what to do. I am still new to brewing in general let alone all grain, and this is the first time I have come across this issue.

Thanks for the quick responses. It's greatly appreciated.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,881
Liked 1083 Times on 788 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbatten22 View Post
It is indeed one of the ale pale type. As far as I can tell the lid and airlock are on tight.

I will take a reading on Saturday to see if there is a change. I just wasn't sure what to do. I am still new to brewing in general let alone all grain, and this is the first time I have come across this issue.

Thanks for the quick responses. It's greatly appreciated.
9 times outta ten when these issues come up, it's a leaky bucket. Those lids snap on, but don't really seal. Take a quick peek, you may not need to take a reading to see it's fermenting or has fermenter.

FWIW, HomeBrew Heaven has buckets with lids that do seal, the lids have an 'o' ring that usually seals up quite nicely. I've never had a leak when I use their bucket, conversely, I don't think I've never not had a leak when using my brewers best ale pail lids. YMMV.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
DonMagee
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Granger, IN
Posts: 383
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts


I have one bucket that won't seal all that well, the airlock never shows activity, but if you open it up you can see that it's fermenting quite nicely. I always check 24 hours after I pitch and if there is no activity in the airlock or no Kräusen then I worry.

This last batch I switched to better bottles instead of buckets and I couldn't be happier.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 25,044
Liked 6388 Times on 3786 Posts


Kolsch yeast should form a big fat krausen. Look inside there. If there's no sign of krausen after 2 days, I'd get busy adding more yeast!

What temp is your wort at?
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
steinsato
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
steinsato's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 1,212
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Did you make a starter with your yeast? Are you sure it was alive and healthy?


__________________
"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump