Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Watermelon Hefeweizen -- Feedback Please

Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
Draygon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Watermelon Hefeweizen -- Feedback Please

Im going to brew a watermelon Hefe here soon as both a summer beer and a wedding gift. I have a short amount of time for this to condition (bottle) so I need to get it done like yesterday. Here is the recipe I am going to use:
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.49 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.49 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.49 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300)
4 lbs Fruit - Watermelon (0.0 SRM) (Added in after straining of trub before pitch)
2 lbs Fruit - Watermelon (0.0 SRM) (Added in at racking to secondary)

As I state in the recipe I am going to add in 4lbs of Watermelon Puree after I have strained the trub and right before I pitch the yeast, then in secondary add a bit more to make sure I get a watermelon flavor.

So Id like feedback on the recipe itself, and thoughts on the watermelon usage, is it too much? Too little? Since watermelon is mostly water I was thinking it would have to be more of it used to make sure to get the flavor of it in the beer.

Thanks for any/all feedback / questions provided!

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 72

The juice is where the flavor is, not the puree. I have a juicer which separates juice from puree so it would make this easy. Watermelon juice can be a little vegetal, so I like to doctor it up with raspberry or cherry or peach, plus lemon and maybe some sugar. I would probably put the juice in the bottling bucket, not in the primary or secondary. I would taste to see where I want it to be at that point, adding more if needed. Be careful with the amount of sugar you're using to properly carb the bottles.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Adding the fruit in the primary sounds like a dangerous idea - no alcohol to suppress growth of unwanteds added with the fruit - aroma will be carried away with the CO2. Why not add it all in secondary? or some in boil in others in secondary?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 28

i feel like the breweries who make watermelon beers use fake flavoring that tastes like watermelon jolly ranchers. it's probably pretty difficult to get a real watermelon flavor into the beer since it's so mild. interested how it turns out however

Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Draygon
Recipes 

I had thought about adding it into the boil and then to secondary as well. I dont want it to be a really strong watermelon flavor, but a subtle one, clean and crisp, not too sweet either which is why i dont have any other fermentables in the recipe other than the grains, could add in some raspberry puree too but that might make it too fruity though.

Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313
i feel like the breweries who make watermelon beers use fake flavoring that tastes like watermelon jolly ranchers. it's probably pretty difficult to get a real watermelon flavor into the beer since it's so mild. interested how it turns out however
I was talking to some one who had . hell or high water watermelon wheat .
And that was the first thing I asked was if it tasted like a holy rancher. And he said no... it was a real subtle taste....

Ill have to buy it and give it a try but im guessing they use real juice

Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Draygon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313
They do...and its what i want to stay away from as i think that more often than not it tends to lead to a chemically taste.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This may get you off track, but I've had beers that had a watermelon flavor without using any watermelon extract, flavor, or juice. You can get watermelon flavors from some hops. I remember having a esb that had some rye and willamette hops that gave a watermelon flavor that was very good. Anyway, just a thought.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Draygon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarkin712
This may get you off track, but I've had beers that had a watermelon flavor without using any watermelon extract, flavor, or juice. You can get watermelon flavors from some hops. I remember having a esb that had some rye and willamette hops that gave a watermelon flavor that was very good. Anyway, just a thought.
I do have some willamette i could use instead of one of the haller additions, maybe the last one?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So, is there no wheat in your wheat beer?