Home Brew Won't be Served at St Louis Brewers Heritage Festival for 2012 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Home Brew Won't be Served at St Louis Brewers Heritage Festival for 2012

Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Fenton, MO
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

I didn't see any other posts regarding this, so thought I'd put this up.

The St Louis Excise Commission has deemed the serving of free home brewed beer at the Brewer's Heritage Festival to be illegal. Though this has been going on since 2007 and the State of Missouri liquor control board have signed off on this as being ok, the organizers of this years event came to the conclusion that if an attendee is buying a ticket and unlicensed brewers are serving their brew, then that is illegal.

I've read on here, somewhere, of this happening in other states. In those states where this has been remedied, how was that done?

The festival is 4 days away and I'm sure it won't be resolved by then. Shame too since there was over 700 gallons of home brew going to be served over the course of the 3 day festival.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...9bb30f31a.html

Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Phunhog
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Liked 173 Times on 130 Posts

Wow! That's too bad. I don't know if it has ever been challenged in California. I know of several homebrew clubs that have poured at commercial beer festivals but not to the level/amount that you guys had going on.
I hope the AHA gets involved and you guys get this straightened out for next year.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
CrimsonBrew
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Saint louis, Mo
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a regular volunteer for the festival this is very upsetting. I would love the focus to be on both great Midwestern craft beer and saint louis home brew. Amazing and sad the amount of increasing regulation and enforcement on home brewing as of late.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Mongrel
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Sisters, Oregon
Liked 238 Times on 149 Posts

I know it seems ****ty, but good things can come of this. In Oregon, we had a year where we couldn't legally transport homebrew outside our homes (even for competitions) after the OLCC looked at how our laws were worded. Now we have some of the most liberal homebrew laws in the nation. Use this as an opportunity to get your representatives to work for you.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
OhCrap
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Galway
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Could they buy the ticket for a raffle? Just have a couple prizes on offer!!! Or else maybe the people attending make a contribution to the cost of running the event or similar
3 is enough &
4 ISN'T half enough

Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Webster Groves, MO
Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Unfortunately in St. Louis this means we won't allow it unless we get paid. I am dissapointed about it.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Fenton, MO
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

It's bigger than a raffle. It's the premier beer event for St Louis and the proceeds go to a local charity. Hopefully we'll be able to do something like Oregon an get some rules clarified.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Florence, Alabama
Liked 116 Times on 98 Posts

The home brewer is not getting paid for the beer produced... the persons paying the fee are not necessarily going to drink the home brew. Their argument is invalid... particularly if the ABC board has already signed off on it. My guess is that this actually comes from someone being in a beer distributor's pocket.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Liked 489 Times on 378 Posts

so, we gonna do about one of these a year then?
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

"A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Carnegie, PA
Liked 222 Times on 167 Posts

At the Charlotte Oktoberfest the homebrewers are at least as popular as the commercial brewer's tents...there are (I think) three major brew clubs, and they all bring mondo amounts of homebrew. NC does actually have some fairly progressive beer laws though...about 7 yrs ago the raised the max abv and really opened up the doors for craft brewing.
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider (2014 & 2015)
Planned: Fruitcake Old Ale, Not Just for Breakfast Stout. Otherwise, so many ideas, not enough time to brew them....