Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour Wheat Beer - 1 month - with bugs

Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds great. Was this no-boil? Where there any other hops other than the dry hops?
I love my berliner weisse, and can't help think it would be amazing with some dry hops.

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
Sounds great. Was this no-boil? Where there any other hops other than the dry hops?
I love my berliner weisse, and can't help think it would be amazing with some dry hops.
Standard 60 minute boil. A half ounce of willamette in the mash. I was going for as little IBU as possible, and mash-hopping is said to get 70% utilization vs. a boil.

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
And also I think any really citrusy American hops will work well, especially amarillo. My SWMBO says that it tastes like grapefruit juice with the citrusy hops and acidity.

I'm starting to wonder about how else to employ this method for more souring projects. For example I have plans to brew a sour saison with peaches and plums (which I've made before but with sour mashing). I'm now wondering if I can ferment clean, then ferment fresh peach and plum juice with strait lacto for a day and then blend the two together.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #14
jusware
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Homebrewtastic: Was there any funk at all in that beer? Its really hard for me to believe there would be any contribution from the Lacto or the Brett. Lacto usually takes over a month and a half just to start souring and then goes through a sick phase. Even giving it a 24 hr head start I don't see how there would be any sourness. Brett usually takes 6 months to even contribute any flavor at all.

What were your fermentation temps? I'd love to be able to do a quick sour, glad it worked out for your. I have a Sour Wheat going now with Brett Trois, Brett C, Lacto and Wyeast Belgian Wheat. I'm gonna do a Sour Abbey soon as my Berliner has only a pint or so left in the keg. I've got a decent lacto starter all ready to go.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusware
Homebrewtastic: Was there any funk at all in that beer? Its really hard for me to believe there would be any contribution from the Lacto or the Brett. Lacto usually takes over a month and a half just to start souring and then goes through a sick phase. Even giving it a 24 hr head start I don't see how there would be any sourness. Brett usually takes 6 months to even contribute any flavor at all.

What were your fermentation temps? I'd love to be able to do a quick sour, glad it worked out for your. I have a Sour Wheat going now with Brett Trois, Brett C, Lacto and Wyeast Belgian Wheat. I'm gonna do a Sour Abbey soon as my Berliner has only a pint or so left in the keg. I've got a decent lacto starter all ready to go.
Actually yes, it's quite sour and a small amount of Brett funkiness. Lacto usually takes that long to do its job for two reasons, one is IBUs and the other is alcohol. Both of those things slow down lacto. So by pitching lacto prior to the sacc there was no alcohol to slow it down.

Just to give you an idea of what lacto is capable of, it can turn milk to yogurt in a manner of hours. Also it's not the lacto that gets sick, it's the pedio. Themadfermentationist.com just wrote a great post on Berliners and fermenting with lacto, there's some great info on there.

My fermentation temps when it was straight lacto was mid 70s, if I wanted to I could have increased it to help it out. While the results of this beer were great it still lacked the complexity of a well aged sour beer or lambic. But this is a solid method or anyone who wants a sour beer in a hurry, and thinks that sour mashes usually taste gross.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
hotspurdotus
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I'm brewing a version of your recipe. I've read that Lacto doesn't like oxygen, and I was thinking about waiting until I added the Sacch and Brett before aerating the wort. Any thoughts on that plan?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #17
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Inspired!
I am going to have a go like this;
pils and flaked wheatOR triticale with a little acid malt and a SG of about 1028-1030
15 minute boil
pitch lacto starter which I am growing up at th mo, into the brew kettle.
let it go for a few days.
rack to FV and shake like it owes me money the day before payday, then pitch a big starter of Brett B Trois.
what do you think?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 788 Times on 566 Posts
Likes Given: 470

Homebrewtastic - I'm inspired to give your method a shot. I was thinking about a sour Raspberry wheat for the spring. Did you make a starter at all for any of the strains you used?