Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Arduino and two elements

Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
berndtr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriFF3n View Post
The arduino will be connected to a temperature probe. The program will monitor the probe and send a control to turn off the elements once the desired temperature is reached. Thats the function of this project. Adding a PID controller is a great idea, I just don't know how to do it.
I think I get it, however your using sledge hammer to nail in decking, while it'll get the job done, its the expensive and under-utilized way of doing things.

Just so I have it clear, your using the ardino to set a temperature at which to turn a single relay off while keeping the second heating element on? I believe you'd be much more satisfied with using a PID control set up.

Pulse Width Modulation is a technique where by varying the % you have the heating element on you can control how much heat actually goes into the kettle. PID is a control algorithm used to adjust how much heat to put in based on the Temperature probe.

While you can go out and buy a dedicated PID controller and it may be the easier option in this case, you can program the arduino to act just like that PID controller.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There's actually an Arduino library for floating-point PID control. I don't like it and I think it's slow and overkill, but you don't have to write your own PID algorithm, even with the Arduino.

http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/PIDLibrary

Because of the system response times involved, I think that simple thermostat control (like my pseudo-code-example) is sufficient for all brewing purposes.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #23
mendesm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

What' the PWM frequency for driving one of the 220v/5000w heater elements?