Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First bottle of my first brew...haze question
Old 07-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default First bottle of my first brew...haze question

So last night I decided to try a bottle of my first batch of ESB. It was in primary for a week, secondary for a little over 3 weeks and bottle conditioned for one week. I figured it would taste a little young which I believe it does. I think it needs to mellow out a bit but overall I am pleased so far.

I do have a question about haze. The beer was pretty cloudy. I know that haze can be contributed to no (or a weak) hot and cold break. The recipe was a partial mash so there was a bit of a hot break when boiling first going. And I believe that I did a good job getting the wort down to pitching temps in about 20-30 minutes.

I am curious...since it is only a week in the conditioning/carbonation stage, could that cause more cloudiness? Also, I only had it in the fridge for about 5 hours. Would it need to be cold longer so it could settle out more?

Im not worried too much, just curious

Next up: Honey Brown Ale, Raspberry Blonde Ale, Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Strawberry Melomel
Drinking: Apfelwein, ESB, Cream Ale, Mocktoberfest Ale
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Ale's What Cures You!
Liked 6646 Times on 4736 Posts
Likes Given: 1854

It does sound like chill haze, especially if it looks clear in the bottle before you refrigerate it. A couple of weeks will make a difference, as will a longer time in the fridge. Quite a few of my PM beers had chill haze that eventually got better.
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook:
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #3

Also, did you pour everything in the bottle into the glass? You have to pour carefully and leave the last little bit in the bottom of the bottle to avoid dumping all the yeast into your glass (and making it all hazy).
Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.