Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Oatmeal Bread Stout recipe review
Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Oatmeal Bread Stout recipe review

Hey All,

So I've been thinking of changing up my usual oatmeal stout recipe with some munich to give it a little more breadiness. I'm thinking:

6 lb pale malt
4 lb munich
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb flaked oats
.5 lb RB
.5 lb chocolate malt

.75 oz CTZ

Burton Ale wlp 023

1 hour at 154

Ferment in the low 60's with a blow off tube. Thanks for the review and ideas. BTW, I don't want to increase the oats TOO much, as the oily nature and lack of head retention with too high a percentage is not my idea of a good pint.

Bucket: Air
Carboy 1: Air
Carboy 2: Air
Carboy 3: Air
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: Air
Keg 1: Cream Ale (left tap)
Keg 2: IPA (right tap)
Keg 3: Cider
Keg 4: Ale Full-O-Funk
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine, Chianti, Liquid Sunshine Sparkling Banana Wine
In the Works: Kate the Great Clone

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone
Old 06-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Looks good to me! Maybe make a hop addition around 20 mins (Northern Brewer or East Kent Goldings, maybe???) Just my $0.02.

You could try toasting the oats in the oven until they smell like oatmeal cookies before adding them to the mash.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry