Great Lakes Hops, or High Hops for ordering hop crowns - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Great Lakes Hops, or High Hops for ordering hop crowns

Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Parris Island, USA
Liked 94 Times on 63 Posts

my two cascades / chinooks from great lakes are monsters approaching 9' .. pretty good for the 1st year and they still have several more months of growing!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
Hethen57
Recipes 

Feb 2010
North Idaho
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You cannot go wrong with Great Lake's hops...they provide the best mail ordered plant material that I have ever received and are very accessable online and they offer helpful information to all growers.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
aamsden
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Rifle, Colorado
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have purchased 100 from High Hops and 100 from Great lakes, they have all went into shock, not sure if its the elevation of 5600' or the shipping time. But the hops from Great Lakes look to be recovering a little better. And they are interested in there progress to make sure they will recover. I thought that was awesome.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
jperry
Recipes 

Jun 2012
SD, CA
Liked 148 Times on 111 Posts

I received 3 chinook crowns from Great Lakes Hops. They have huge roots already started. I've been taking really good care of them, read the suggustions that came with the plants. The leaves never even turned yellow; the instructions said some yellowing is normal. I would recommend GLH...

Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Big Rapids, Michigan
Liked 141 Times on 107 Posts

+ 1 Great Lakes Hops, in 15 days my crowns have grown 6 feet... healthy plants, wonderful facility and great people... excellent online help and support.

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 02-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
yenkenshire
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Rochester, Minnesota

New to this. Are rhizomes that hard to get started growing, they are half price of crowns.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2010
ohio
Liked 244 Times on 189 Posts

Not at all, but when you plant a rhizome it has to expend energy in both directions by developing roots and shoots. The crown usually has some roots developed so it can spend more energy on the shoots which usually equates to a guaranteed harvest in your first year. If you have the money available and are an impatient person, buy the crowns. If not, save a few bucks and get the rhizomes.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Lancaster, PA
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts

glad to heard all the excellent reviews for great lakes hops.. i just ordered 3 crowns from them for my new garden.. so excited!!!!

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: oxy :-(
Keg 1: Brown Ale | Keg 2: Porter | Keg 3: Belgian Wit
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
mopillar
Recipes 

Jun 2011
, Georgia
Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post
glad to heard all the excellent reviews for great lakes hops.. i just ordered 3 crowns from them for my new garden.. so excited!!!!
Yeah my crowns from Great Lakes Hops I got back in the fall are already sprouting again for this spring. Very happy with the plants and their service!

Primary: Empty :(

Kegged: Jamil's Porter

Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
Stevo2569

Recipes 

Jan 2011
C-VILLE, Tn
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopillar

Yeah my crowns from Great Lakes Hops I got back in the fall are already sprouting again for this spring. Very happy with the plants and their service!
Wow. Already sprouts. Didn't think GA weather had been that much different then TN. Make sure you cover em when it frost over again. I hope mine don't come up till April. Last year was a pain in the ass baby sitting over the frost.

My Brewing Apparatus