DIY Tap Handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
I broke my tap handle a couple of days ago, just the regular black boring one. Anyone got any cool ideas on what to make a new one with. What kind of custom tap handles has everyone made?

NewAGBrewer said:
I broke my tap handle a couple of days ago, just the regular black boring one. Anyone got any cool ideas on what to make a new one with. What kind of custom tap handles has everyone made?
While the handles themselves aren't DIY, I'm kind of liking these ones. Just slide in an appropriate picture or graphic.

9557-taphandles.jpg

A while ago, I was surfing the galleries here and saw some of what appeared to be homemade tap handles..... was going to ask where the brewer purchased the items to make them, but I'm not ready to start building handles yet... still need to work on brewing. Brewtopia's Naked city handles are pretty cool... I like the small Naked city emblems on top.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1568&catid=member&imageuser=5979

Allan

BlindLemonLars said:
While the handles themselves aren't DIY, I'm kind of liking these ones. Just slide in an appropriate picture or graphic.

9557-taphandles.jpg
Where did you find those? I like them too.

natehilde said:
Those are interesting looking um "table legs".

Yes indeed. I've caught the ladies trying to take them off several times for some reason. I evenutally relented and went with my custom made ones. Those are still there to this day.

If you go with the Lowes option, I recommend buying a few extra in case some one takes one home on a lonely night. :D

howlinowl said:
Dammit BlindLemonLars!!! Didn't I just say I wasn't ready to start building handles?? Now ya got me shoppin' for handles and stuff!! Dunno how this'll fly with the ole lady!!
Sorry Allan, 'twas not my intention to cause marital strife. Should push come to shove, I know a great divorce attorney. He'd make sure the brewing equipment ends up in your half of the settlement. :D

I find it kind of amazing (and pleasing) there is a store that specializes in tap handles.

I have a couple of the replaceable lable handles but they are too expensive to buy a bunch of them.

I went tthe cheap and easy way and just cut 3" X 4" X 1" blocks, threaded the wood and made my own lables....
DSCN2954.jpg

Monster Mash said:
I have a couple of the replaceable lable handles but they are too expensive to buy a bunch of them.

I went tthe cheap and easy way and just cut 3" X 4" X 1" blocks, threaded the wood and made my own lables....
DSCN2954.jpg

I like those! Nice and simple, not to huge or flashy. Hope ya don't mind if I steal your idea and make a few of my own.

Allan

EdWort said:
For a small fee, I know a woodworker who will make personalized tap handles like these.

How small a fee Ed? I'm liking the idea of a Lager and Ale one to go along with my root beer barrel one.
1002460mx8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Does he ship, or would I need to come pick them up from you and stare in amazement at the Texas sized hop tree?

I made mine from a billiards ball. I had used it as a shifter knob in my Jeep. When my tap handle broke I was trying to find something to replace it and as it turns out the tap I had used on the ball to thread it for the shifter also fit my beer tap. I'm liking the wood ones with labels though. When I get into kegging my brew and not just having the commercial keg I'll prolly go that route now.

Inert hand grenade. There are all different types for different tastes. If you want a little classy wood you could even finish an old German "potato masher". Sorry guys I think I all the bubbling in my brew room is starting to affect my brain a little :drunk:

Originally posted by howlinowl
Brewtopia's Naked city handles are pretty cool... I like the small Naked city emblems on top.

Thanks! I purchased the oval faced tap handles and picked up some galvinized steel sheets from home depot. I cut the sheet and glued to the front of the handle. I then print the labels on magnetic photo paper so they are easily interchangable. The tap toppers were purchased off ebay. I printed my logo on adhesive photo paper and applied to the toppers.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1566&c=1&userid=5979

BlindLemonLars said:
I find it kind of amazing (and pleasing) there is a store that specializes in tap handles.
How true. I'm amazed that just about anything you want, you can type in "<thing I want>.com", and you stand about a 95% chance of finding some online store.

howlinowl said:
DSCN2954.jpg
I like those! Nice and simple, not to huge or flashy. Hope ya don't mind if I steal your idea and make a few of my own.

Allan

I used to have handles made out of table legs but they suck on a freezer because it makes changing kegs difficult.

These are the same height as the black handles and they don't get in the way when llifting out kegs. Simple, cheap, easy and effective. Feel free to copy them!!

I just drilled the hole and threaded the wood, they stay on just fine.

brian williams said:
i'm going to try to find some bones, maybe like a cow femur or something, and use them as tap handles, to complete my horror-esque theme.

Try some bone-in roasts. Dinner and a tap handle in one package.

I'm in the process of making some from Bolivian Rosewood. My access to the wood lathe has been cut off because my dad is rebuilding his garage. I have one handle done. Three more to go...

The pattern
taphandle1.jpg

Cuttting down the square chunk of wood
taphandle2.jpg

Comparing to the pattern
taphandle3.jpg

Almost finished
taphandle4.jpg

Even closer to almost finished...:p
taphandle5.jpg

Except I have to help my dad remodel the house before the garage will be in working order so I can use his lathe. Maybe I can bribe him with homebrew... :D

if by bribe you mean let him drink enough till he falls asleep so you can sneak into the garage. Kinda like odysseus and the cyclops but you want in the "cave". sorry I'm bored and avoiding my studies

Monster Mash said:

DSCN2954.jpg

How did you attach those labels to the wood. Did you coat them in any kind of clear coat or anything? Look very nice.

if you have any action figures, or if your SWMBO has other erhem "toys" they can be turned into funky weird tap handles.

Donasay said:
if you have any action figures, or if your SWMBO has other erhem "toys" they can be turned into funky weird tap handles.

Ummm yeah that might be kind of awkward at parties and such...:tank:

Donasay said:
It brings loving your beer to a whole new level...

I thought of carving a wooden donkey for a tap handle because my wife wants to have cheap beer on tap for beer pong. Gotta love her. :ban:

Anyway, the donkey was my idea because she was talking about Bud Light on tap and I think that tastes like A**.

:D

MrFebtober said:
LOL! Yeah, carving a donkey would be a lot easier than carving a couple having sex in a canoe.

I would love that tap handle!!!

:off:
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! ROFLMAO!!!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!! That was the first dirty joke I told my father! My folks were leaving town to get away when I was 16 or so and they told me to stay out of the beer and he'll know how many were missing cause he counted them!!! Reineer Light or Old Milwauki Light or some crappy on sale beer of the sorts. Even at 16 or so I knew his beer sucked(imho) and reassured him he had nothing to worry about. When he asked why I told him it's like sex in a canoe! He was a bit puzzled, then I drove it home with the punchline!!!! He then proceded to mark how much booze was left in each bottle with a sharpie... :(
:off:

Latest posts

Back