Yeast recycling - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast recycling

Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Jul 2011
Sydney, Australia

Did my first yeast re-use yesterday.

Took a very simple approach. When I finished bottling from the primary, I simply poured the yeast, etc in the bottom of the fermenter into a sterilised plastic juice bottle. Straight to the fridge. Probably had about one litre of yeast, trub, etc

Next day, made a Maris Otter / fuggles smash brew. Used about 2 cups of the wort and thoroughly mixed into the bottled yeast and left at room temperature (14 deg C - cold here in Sydney at the moment..) for 3 hours

Pitched the full amount of recovered yeast at about 23 deg C

Within one hour the fermenter was going mad. I have never seen such a quick start to fermentation and the airlock was lucky to have any water left in it! A huge amount of krausen as well.

I used a Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale by the way.

The reesults have been effective so far. Is this an okay way to re-use yeast? How many brews will I get out of it? I usually brew 14 litres per batch

Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Oct 2011
Eugene, OR
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

If you have good sanitation you can essentially use the same strain of yeast inevitably. In practice most brewers replace their yeast every few brews. I have gone as many as 7 or eight brews before I lost confidence in the health and sanitation of my yeast.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts

Perfectly acceptable. Re-using it that quickly after you harvested it means you don't even need to make a starter. If it was a week or two later, I would then make a starter.

Tip: You can take that yeast cake from the fermenter, pour it into a large container, shake, then wait 20 minutes...pour off just the top-most liquid and split it into 4 containers. Each one represents enough yeast for a batch, generally.
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!