I had a big success with my American strawberry sour experiment. I designed this recipe for a lawnmower beer competition coming up. I wanted a SUPER drinkable sour and my only brewing experience with berlinerwiesse was disappointing. I also wanted something a little higher in ABV for personal preference.
I figured the vast majority of the beers entered in this lawnmower beer competition coming up would be lighter pale ales, hefes, pilsners, ect and I wanted something that would really stand out. I had a bad experience when I tried to brew a Berlinerwiese, my euro yeast was dead, the lacto needs to munch on quite a bit to get as sour as I wanted it to be and the style just didn't have the sugars to support that kind of thing. So I decided to simply make a beer I would enjoy without following any style guidelines. Keep in mind this beer is for a lawnmower competition, thus the rice.
Competition American Strawberry/Raspberry Sour
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: DIY lacto with 1L starter(see below for more info), Brett C vial 5 days after Lacto pitch.
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.003
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 6.5months @ 75
Tasting Notes: Epic sour, complex and supremely drinkable. Perhaps slightly too sour. I think I would cut the acid malt to about 1oz. I would also swap some of wheat for some vienna to improve clarity and alter the flavor a bit.
6lbs bohemian pilsner
2lbs instant rice
8oz Red wheat
5.8oz Acid malt
1lb Torrified wheat
.5oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (2.5%AA) for 60min
Mash at 148*f for 60min
Add 5lbs of strawberries to primary.
Add 2lbs of Raspberries to secondary.
I cultured my own lacto by throwing a handful of 2row into a mason jar full of wort for about 1 month at 80*f. I started fermentation with the 05 and just let it roll for a few days, once I felt the gravity was where I wanted it (5 days) I transferred it onto the raspberries and added the lacto starter about a week after that I pitched brett C for funsies. I left it for 6.5 months at 75*f.
I wish I had a decent camera but here's what I got.