Saving or Spending More Monday? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Saving or Spending More Monday?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
Brewenstein
Recipes 

Apr 2009
West Suburbs of Chicago
Liked 98 Times on 73 Posts

My goal has always been to brew good beer for cheaper than I can buy it. I have a basic set up and about 6 fermenters. I have been brewing for 3 years and I believe that I have spent about $300 of my own money. I brew all grain, buy grain and hops in bulk, re-use yeast as much as I can (get about 3-4 brews from one packet of yeast usually). I ask for money or brew related item for my birthday and Christmas and use the money for the grain, hops and yeast. So basically every homebrew I drink is a birthday or Christmas present!

I realize that I am not typical, but you can save money if you want to.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #22
barrooze

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pearland, TX
Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts

I make almost every piece of equipment I use, so I try saving money everywhere possible, especially equipment upgrades. My MLT cost me about $15. My 50' 1/2" IC set me back about $60. My mill was a gift and the housing for everything cost about $5. Bought 150# of grain in a group buy for $100 and a bunch of hops in bulk for $20. I also rinse and reuse my yeast. My last 5gal batch cost me $8.50 (not including propane). Even after looking at all the small DYI and bulk ingredient purchases, I think I'm still breaking even. Then again, most 6packs are going for more than what I paid to brew 5gallons. I guess it all comes down to this; for what I drink, I pay less brewing and drinking my homebrew than if I were to just drink commercial beer. Cheers!
Kegged: BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01), DIPA, Funky Belgian Table Beer, Breakfast Stout Primary: CYBI Obsidian Stout clone, Citra Dust APA, Hop Dust APA Souring: None On Deck: Oktoberfest-ish Lager On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2016/04/09
Untappd: barrooze

Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #23
kevin009
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Los Angeles, California
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

saving. when you saved more at the right time you can spend more right?

- Swami Sivananda

Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #24
amandabab
Recipes 

Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Liked 242 Times on 183 Posts

$7-$9 sixpacks
$3-$5 16-22oz singles

5 gallons of that is a lot more than ingredients for 5 gallons.
When you add in equipment,,, hell,, don't add in equipment . We'd have bought all those toys anyways.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #25
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 3209 Times on 2402 Posts

Gotta love the topic. Reminds me of the whole fishing thing. I've amassed over $5K in fly rods and reels and a couple of kilobucks of materials and a bazillion kinds of fly hooks, a 20' sport fishing boat and a couple of canoes over ~45 years in the sport - and I'm a catch and release flyfisher, which makes the per-fish-kept cost roughly...infinite.

I was about to cobble up a spreadsheet of my brew gear cost over ~10 years of home brewing and amortize that across an average of 150 gallons per year. Then I remembered the fishing thing, and decided to skip the whole exercise

Cheers!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #26
Dawnhulio

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Portland, OR
Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

It's a hobby, and it's cheaper than owning a plane as a hobby.
This made me laugh out loud. I haven't done a price breakdown - its my hobby, and I enjoy sharing GOOD beer with people no matter the $'s (or lack thereof) involved.

That being said, I refuse to spend a couple hundred bucks on equipment when I can purchase the parts separately, read some 'how-to's' and put it together myself for a third of the cost.

I'm handy like that...

Old 06-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #27
IkeKrizzule
Recipes 

May 2012
Saskatoon, Saskachewan
Liked 25 Times on 11 Posts

Most of the replies are missing one crucial fact. The original poster is from Canada, and we pay more for beer than you lucky Americans do.

A sixpack of a craft type beer is going to be at least $12-15, so if you can brew at 50 cents a beer you're saving at least $1.50/beer. Multiply that by say 60 beers in a batch and that's a savings of at least $90 per batch.

I'm new to this, but I think I have enough equipment now to BIAB and bottle without buying anything else. My total costs with a starter kit ($70), kettle ($80), and other misc items (at least under $100), mean I could be saving money after 3 batches.

Of course that's probably not the reason to get into this as a hobby. You should do it because you love beer and you find the idea of making it yourself really interesting.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #28
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Surrounded by Yoopers
Liked 1101 Times on 746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr
Gotta love the topic. Reminds me of the whole fishing thing. I've amassed over $5K in fly rods and reels and a couple of kilobucks of materials and a bazillion kinds of fly hooks, a 20' sport fishing boat and a couple of canoes over ~45 years in the sport - and I'm a catch and release flyfisher, which makes the per-fish-kept cost roughly...infinite.

I was about to cobble up a spreadsheet of my brew gear cost over ~10 years of home brewing and amortize that across an average of 150 gallons per year. Then I remembered the fishing thing, and decided to skip the whole exercise

Cheers!
I gave up my guitar/band hobby many years back. This hobby is cheap by comparison and I have a decent brewing setup. I still have all the kilobucks of music gear. I just can't sell it. My 7yo son is interested in guitar now. He will have a good start!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #29
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Liked 752 Times on 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany
Clearly the per-batch cost is better than buying commercial. I brew 10-gallon batches (~4 cases). For a 6% IPA, let's say I'm spending $30 on grain, $20 on hops, and $10 on yeast. Add in sundries ($5 for propane, a few bucks for water, ice for my chiller [in the summer], electricity for my fermentation fridge), and I'm spending less than $80 for a batch. And that's one of my more expensive batches.

Compare that to the equivalent quantity of store-bought. 4 cases is 16 six-packs. Here in CA you can expect to spend at least $9 per six pack, and with tax and CRV, you're over $10. So each equivalent batch would cost me $160 or more commercially.

Brew a strong belgian, imperial stout, or a double IPA (beers usually bought in 22 oz bombers)? You'll save more money because those beers commercially are much more expensive, but homebrewing is not that much more expensive. Brew a more mild session beer, easier on the hops? You'll save more money, because those beers commercially are still in the $8+ range per sixer at the store.

How many batches will it take to amortize the equipment costs? Depends how balls-out you go on your equipment. My brew rig is pretty stable, cost-wise. But I just dropped $600 or so in total cost to outfit my 6-tap keezer, and thus it'll probably take me most of a year to amortize that cost in brewing savings. But since I do ~12 batches a year, at a savings of $80+ per batch, and I've been brewing 6 1/2 years, I'd say I've probably broken even by now.
+1 to this. Most of the beers I buy are like $10 a 4 pack. It cost me less than $50 to make 60 or so bottles of 7-9% beer. No doubt in my mind I'm saving $$ since I've started brewing. But I agree in the start it seems like a lot of spending to get everything set up.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Exp APA
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Bourbon Chocolate RIS, Helles Lager, Best Bitter
On Deck : Pomegranate Berliner, Dortmunder Export, Espresso Brown

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3702 Times on 3177 Posts

Oh man...where do I start? I still have engine parts new since the 70's,including a crower injector scoup,a cobraII hood scoop,A holley street dominator intake,tires,& other misc tuner parts... I'm in trouble for the parts I haven't got to yet,grease stains on my hands,& I don't know where I've been. Am I here because of your humility...or your stupidity?...ooops,got away from myself there. I have a whole stack of guitars,& a half stack Fender rock pro 1000,stomp boxes,pedal boards,Now all my brewing gear. A lot of tools too. I'm not sure anymore if I'm a pack rat or a rennesance man.Still like to get back to playin guitar,brew more,put the parts in my lil tuner I have layin around....Maybe I need help...?
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU