New "How to" Videos on the website and need some feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hay guys

You may remember a while back we had a member here on HBT have some problems with installing the diptube and the 15" hinged false bottom he got from us in his kettle. Well to fix it (with his help) in less than 48 hours, we added a "how to" section to the website and full dip tube installation instructions with pictorial. In the spirit of customer service, we also wanted to add "how to" videos throughout our website to assist answering all those questions you may have about "how to" just about anything, from installing a weldless kit to rehydrating dry yeast.
So....Victor and I shot a 5 min Video on "how to" install a 15" hinged false bottom and "how to" set up your diptube from dry fit to brew day.
We are going to devote a boatload of time to this project and wanted to get some feedback from you guys so we can better serve you, the end user of our products.

We have several videos shot and are waiting to upload to our website via You Tube.

Let me know guys, helpful? Good idea? Waste of time? Also, any ideas you have on future videos you would like to see as well, are always welcome.

Cheers
Jay

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/product496.html

Let me know what you think.

Sound and video quality were great. You spoke very well, very clear and were very easy to understand. My only complaint was that you brew by a pool, and that makes me jealous, because I'm often standing on a brick patio in the heat, with no pool!

If I had a keggle and needed to install a false bottom, this video would have been very helpful in doing so. I've always been a big fan of video tutorials, because they're much easier to use in today's advanced technological age. I can take my phone or iPad with me to the location where I'm doing the work, and have it playing alongside the actual work, instead of having to constantly go back and look at a laptop or piece of paper.

The good: Your video and audio quality is good. You speak clearly and it's easy to follow what you're doing. Very well done.

The bad: Those text effect are annoying as hell. Pick one effect (maybe just a subtle fade in/fade out) and stick with it. Your scrolling text moves by too fast to be useful.

One suggestion: At the start of the video, outline the steps you're about to show. Have text pop up at each of those steps. Now, add links to each of those steps in your video description by adding "#t=*m*s". For instance, for the installation of the compression fitting, you you make your link look like this Install Compression Fitting. This way if I want to review your steps, I can jump to the section I need.

The bad: Those text effect are annoy as hell. Pick one effect (maybe just a subtle fade in/fade out) and stick with it. Your scrolling text moves by too fast to be useful.

I was thinking the same thing about the scrolling text, but it went by too fast for me to really be bothered by it. I guess if you want it to be useful, it would be more effective if it was slowed down, or even stopped.

i don't know anything about the topic at hand, but i watched the video to see if it made sense. it did. my comments

title drops are annoying. just pick a spot on the screen, fade the titles in and out.

around 2:25 (reversing the process) could be sped up, we know what you're doing here

the snap around 3:17 i don't understand what just happened. that looks important

my general comment with instructional videos is that they are almost always too long. you did a good job sticking to a script (or you knew exactly what you wanted to say) and it stayed pretty succinct. still, i think this could be tightened to around 3 or 4 minutes with some retakes and good editing.

Great job on that one Jay, very helpful, concise, and clear. Still the king of the FB.

Good video, I might be missing something but why do you have to remove the compression fitting to set the ferrule? It just seems like an unnecesary step which could get messed up with the marking and all. I didn't when I installed mine I got from you. I just used two wrenches inside the keg. It seemed easy enough.

I think the video is pretty good. I agree the text bouncing around is annoying and difficult to read... Other than that I think I would maybe just like to see some closeups of the sharpie mark when you have the dip tube out and are tightening the ferrule.

I think this is a great idea, especially since I emailed you guys asking for help on installing my false bottom and dip tube and never got a response. This way I can watch the videos and get the help I need.

Back