Price of Beer Going Up! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Price of Beer Going Up!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
mountainrev
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Near Vail, Colorado
Posts: 67
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



It seems the ethanol craze is going to raise the price of beer. Apparently many farmers are planting corn instead of barley right now: http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=73165

This will undoubtedly effect us homebrewers, as well, but probably not to the extent that it will impact retail prices. One more reason to justify our hobby.
__________________

"Give beer to those who are perishing." -- Proverbs 31:6


  • In Primary:
  • In Secondary: Bavarian Dunkel Lager
  • In Secondary: Pyramid ESB Clone
  • In Bottles: Cherry Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Foreigner
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Posts: 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrev
It seems the ethanol craze is going to raise the price of beer. Apparently many farmers are planting corn instead of barley right now: http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=73165

This will undoubtedly effect us homebrewers, as well, but probably not to the extent that it will impact retail prices. One more reason to justify our hobby.
In Toronto they are also considering an extra 5% municipal tax an all alcohol. Can I get a "whoa Homebrew!"?

I can't anticipate that the fuel alcohol craze will affect the cost of my 25K sack of barley too much.
__________________
I try not to drink anything harder than Gin before breakfast - W.C. Fields

Primaries: Ed's Haus + Munich, Ed's Haus + medium crystal

Secondaries: suck :)

Bottles: Chili Stout, Dry Irish Stout, Bitter Ass IPA, Headstrong Munich Lager clone, Lawnmower ale with chocolate and munich malt

Bulk Aging: Wildberry Sweet Mead - Orange Vanilla Dry Mead

Up Next: Orfy's Old Speckled Hen and an IPA of some kind

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


It pays to buy bulk!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Warped04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,454
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Let me present an unlikely alternative. Since smaller farmers may actually start making money with the increase in the price of corn, we may see an increase in the number of farmers (if land is still available at a reasonable cost in the Midwest). This may actually help stabilize the prices.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
FlyingHorse
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FlyingHorse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Posts: 1,856
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by warped04
Let me present an unlikely alternative. Since smaller farmers may actually start making money with the increase in the price of corn, we may see an increase in the number of farmers (if land is still available at a reasonable cost in the Midwest). This may actually help stabilize the prices.
If anything related to corn farming were remotely related to market forces, this might be true. But corn (and ethanol) production are hugely subsidized (and tariff-protected) by the government. Corn farmers are guaranteed a minimum price per bushel...you can't get any more stable than that.
__________________
No signature required.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
malkore
 
malkore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Nebraska
Posts: 6,922
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
If anything related to corn farming were remotely related to market forces, this might be true. But corn (and ethanol) production are hugely subsidized (and tariff-protected) by the government. Corn farmers are guaranteed a minimum price per bushel...you can't get any more stable than that.
Living in Nebraska, I can back up this comment. It costs a lot of money to make ethanol, because the govt. subsidizes farms that produce the crops they want.
__________________
Malkore
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:44 AM   #7
Sean from New Hampshire
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Posts: 148

The government is ruining what could be one of the most important changes in fuel usage ever.

Why use corn?

Taken from Wikipedia:

"Switchgrass has the potential to produce the biomass required for production of up to 100 gallons (380 liters) of ethanol per metric ton.[4] This gives switchgrass the potential to produce 1000 gallons of ethanol per acre, compared to 665 gallons for sugarcane and 400 gallons for corn.[5]"


It's quite ironic isn't it?

Sean

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:45 AM   #8
Beerrific
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Georgia
Posts: 5,562
Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean from New Hampshire
The government is ruining what could be one of the most important changes in fuel usage ever.

Why use corn?

Taken from Wikipedia:

"Switchgrass has the potential to produce the biomass required for production of up to 100 gallons (380 liters) of ethanol per metric ton.[4] This gives switchgrass the potential to produce 1000 gallons of ethanol per acre, compared to 665 gallons for sugarcane and 400 gallons for corn.[5]"


It's quite ironic isn't it?

Sean

Where in NH are you from?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:49 AM   #9
Sean from New Hampshire
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Posts: 148

Derry. You around here?

Sean

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:56 AM   #10
Beerrific
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Georgia
Posts: 5,562
Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean from New Hampshire
Derry. You around here?

Sean
No, SWMBO is from Canterbury. I lived in MA/NH for a couple months in 2005. This is when/where I started homebrewing. NH is a nice state.


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price of LME RodfatherX Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 05-25-2008 04:44 PM
The price of beer in 132 countries. JVD_X General Beer Discussion 5 04-08-2008 06:40 AM
Price per beer Ketchepillar General Beer Discussion 19 10-28-2007 07:25 AM
Excellent price on Zatarain's root beer extract Rdracera1 Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-01-2006 02:26 AM
Bar inversely links price of beer with gas Eskram General Chit Chat 4 09-09-2005 08:14 PM


Forum Jump