NB Caribou Slobber - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NB Caribou Slobber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
RiffMagnum
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Ft. Worth, Texas
Posts: 184
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



A friend of mine is brewing this for his first batch. I know it's a popular kit, but was wondering if those of you who had brewed it went exactly by the directions or made your own changes or modifications? The main reason i ask is because it says to to steep the grains at 170 for 20 minutes. Compared to conventional wisdom and most kits i've seen, this seems too high of a temp for too short of a time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
mb82
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 706
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts


Is this for the specialty grains?
IIRC it is steep the grains for 20 minutes or till the temp reaches 170deg. As I remember I did both. Yeah no complaints about the beer, it got me a girlfriend even( long story).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
blakelyc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Bergenfield, New Jersey
Posts: 479
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts


I've brewed this kit straight-up and it makes a good beer. Definitely a confidence booster for new brewers!

That having been said, the instructions that I read specified to put the grain in water and then heat the water to 170 over about 20 minutes. It worked out okay, but it makes me wonder if they changed the directions.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
RiffMagnum
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Ft. Worth, Texas
Posts: 184
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mb82 View Post
Is this for the specialty grains?
IIRC it is steep the grains for 20 minutes or till the temp reaches 170deg. As I remember I did both. Yeah no complaints about the beer, it got me a girlfriend even( long story).
Yeah. I just went on their website and read through the instructions so i'd be familiar with it if i end up helping him with the batch.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
kevstev
Recipes 
 
May 2012
jersey city, nj
Posts: 30
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Are you sure that's what it said? It seems to be standard NB instructions to steep the grains for "20 minutes or until it hits 170 degrees." Which I think is just dumbed down for those without thermometers. I do it the "how to brew" way, and start steeping at 150 degrees, heat up to 160 degrees and hold the temp, for a total of 30 minutes.

DogboyBrew Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
RiffMagnum
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Ft. Worth, Texas
Posts: 184
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kevstev View Post
Are you sure that's what it said? It seems to be standard NB instructions to steep the grains for "20 minutes or until it hits 170 degrees." Which I think is just dumbed down for those without thermometers. I do it the "how to brew" way, and start steeping at 150 degrees, heat up to 160 degrees and hold the temp, for a total of 30 minutes.
Yeah, this is what the directions said. It just seems really vague to me. Depending on the conditions, it might take 10-15 minutes for a person to get their water up to the 150-170 degree range, so you end up not really steeping it at the proper temp for very long.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
bk0
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 227
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Good kit. Don't stress too much about the steeping, just don't go above 170. If I was doing it again I'd use US-05 instead of Windsor though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
RiffMagnum
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Ft. Worth, Texas
Posts: 184
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bk0 View Post
Good kit. Don't stress too much about the steeping, just don't go above 170. If I was doing it again I'd use US-05 instead of Windsor though.
I was actually thinking about picking up a pack of 05 so we could double pitch. You think there's anything wrong with using both strains or should we go with one or the other?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
bk0
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 227
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffMagnum View Post
I was actually thinking about picking up a pack of 05 so we could double pitch. You think there's anything wrong with using both strains or should we go with one or the other?
I'd say stick with one or the other. Multiple strains will make it difficult to know where flavor characteristics came from so you'll have trouble re-creating it next time.

Personally I'd make a small starter from the US-05 and use that. It'll make a drier & cleaner finish with better attenuation and less chance of off-flavors.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
doublebogey10
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
, Nevada
Posts: 245
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bk0
good kit. Don't stress too much about the steeping, just don't go above 170. If i was doing it again i'd use us-05 instead of windsor though.
+1

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caribou Slobber FG??? BigTerp Extract Brewing 42 12-10-2013 02:46 PM
Northern Brewer - Caribou Slobber Larzean Extract Brewing 12 05-04-2012 02:58 PM
Modifying Caribou Slobber Voodoo_Child Extract Brewing 4 03-08-2012 09:34 PM
First brew NB Caribou Slobber AaronMaine Extract Brewing 21 01-07-2012 12:59 AM
Caribou slobber without kit pyth Extract Brewing 4 12-25-2011 04:19 AM


Forum Jump