Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is this bad? (picture included)

Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
MaltyHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyCheese View Post
Oxygenation of wort doesn't cause off flavors. There's an entire step in the process dedicated to infusing as much O2 into the wort as possible. You only need to worry about oxygen once your wort has turned into beer.
The wort oxygenation step is carried out when wort has been cooled to yeast pitching temperatures whereas the concern with HSA is that when oxygen is added to the wort at the higher temperatures, the O2 bind to molecules of some compounds in the wort and this oxygen doesn't get removed by yeast but when the resultant beer is aged, the oxygen can be released to cause oxidation effects.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #22
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrst View Post
...This may be causing turbulent flow which is creating the air bubbles...
If what you are saying is correct then the bubles shouldn't be air but wort vapour (as in steam is water vapour)? I agree with you fully in your explaination as the only other way to get bubbles in the tube would be a leak past the barb, if the OP pinched the tube as he said and it was an air leak there this should cause wort to leak out where the air was leaking in.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
MaltyHops
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
If what you are saying is correct then the bubles shouldn't beer air but wort vapour (as in steam is water vapour)? I agree with you fully in your explaination as the only other way to get bubbles in the tube would be a leak past the barb, ...
I was thinking exactly this same thing but I guess it depends on what is happening at the out end of the hose - if it's above wort level, then if the flow isn't high enough air could get in and float up to where the bubbles are.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
seefish
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleary View Post
Whenever I drain the wort from my mash, I get air bubbles in the tube. Is this oxidizing my beer? Is this bad? If it is, how do I get rid of it? When I pinch the tube they go away for a minute but just come back when I let go. If I open the valve up full stream they go away, but then I am extracting the wort too fast, right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
HSA is only a minor concern post boil, any oxygen getting into the beer between the mash and boil kettle will be driven off during the boil. If your concerned listen to the podcast link below from Charles Bamforth on the BN.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/475

Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
seefish
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

HSA is only a minor post-boil concern, don't worry about it pre-boil, the oxygen will be released during the boil.