Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency varies..... Wtf

Old 06-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
dukes7779
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Efficiency varies..... Wtf

Have been doing my own milling for about 6 months and my efficiency has been anywhere from 70-85%........what gives?? Have made no adjustments to mill and have verified that my gap has not changed. Hitting temps also. What else could it be??

Old 06-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

bulk grain or buy each time? Do you check your crush as you mill? Particle size of kernels could change from batch to batch and cause fewer/more cracked grains.

Has anything in your process changed, ie. stirring techniques during, before, after mash/sparge? There has to be some subtle nuance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
dukes7779
Recipes 

Buy in bulk, maybe different stirring during mash/sparge. Anything else I should be aware of??

Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
JakeFegely
Recipes 

There is a good sticky at the top of this section about maximizing efficiency when batch sparging. The sparge /lauter process can have a big impact on efficiency.

The mash process can also affect it. Whenever I use pilsner grain, I need to step mash or I lose efficiency.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukes7779 View Post
Buy in bulk, maybe different stirring during mash/sparge. Anything else I should be aware of??
pretty much your crush, avoiding dough-balls and stirring well before and after the mash and each sparge addition are the keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Is it the same recipe? If not, efficiency generally suffers with larger grainbills. When I'm doing higher gravity beers, I adjust my efficiency in Beersmith down.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
arnoldk2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I had a pretty low efficiency when starting out. I was averaging 60%. I changed the rate of draining my mash tun from as fast as I can to taking 20-30 minutes to drain my mash tun and another 20 minutes to drain my sparge water. This increased my efficiency to 75%. I guess the moral of the story is even the smallest tweak you do whether you realize you are doing it or not can make a big difference in your efficiency. Just be consistent with your process and the efficiency should stabilize.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Coohang
Recipes 

How fast do you mill? If I rip thru the grain fast w my drill - then I get 90%. If I slow it down around 200 rpms, then I get 75%...just what I notice...

Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 875 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coohang View Post
How fast do you mill? If I rip thru the grain fast w my drill - then I get 90%. If I slow it down around 200 rpms, then I get 75%...just what I notice...
Really? I read another thread where the consensus, with corona mills, was that milling as slow as possible would increase efficiency.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

Hi

Do you measure the input by weight or volume? If by weight, the moisture content may be varying (can be a 10% item - yikes!).

Anything that results in a finer crush will likely increase efficiency. Packing grain into the mill, running faster / slower (depending on the mill). Gap setting drifting with time. All will mess things up.

Lots of variables.

Bob