Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning & Drying Rubber Hoses
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Coachlight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 25
Default Cleaning & Drying Rubber Hoses

OK, hopefully this is an easy one. I cleaned my equipment in a big bucket of BPW after bottling on Sunday and after a few hours of soaking, I dried what I could. I hung my rubber tubes to dry, and still today (3 days) they aren't dry! What am I doing wrong? What is the best way to clean and dry my rubber hoses for storing?

Cheers.


Coachlight is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
ProzHack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 162
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Are you talking keg tubing, AG valve tubing, or an actual garden/rubber hose? I hang mine from the middle and ensure both end are open to air/drip. But in reality, so long as their clean and sterilized just prior to usage, then it doesn't really matter if they dry completely.


ProzHack is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Coachlight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProzHack
Are you talking keg tubing, AG valve tubing, or an actual garden/rubber hose? I hang mine from the middle and ensure both end are open to air/drip. But in reality, so long as their clean and sterilized just prior to usage, then it doesn't really matter if they dry completely.
The clear rubber tubes associated with my siphon and bottler. I was nervous about storing them away whil still wet in fear of mold or whatever. Just seemed crazy that after 3 days of hanging there they weren't fully dry.
Coachlight is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 938
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I take mine outside and swing them around helicopter-style for a few minutes. I don't know if it helps but it's fun.
Burgs is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
ProzHack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 162
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Short of an upward draft, bacteria don't typically float upwards. Don't hang them full length vertical as it leaves even the smallest of openings vertical and exposed, but hang them from the middle so both ends are downward facing. Then if you ensure there's nothing in there for the little nasties to consume (clean/flush before drying), then sterilize before using you should be okay.
ProzHack is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pfgonzo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Posts: 732
Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I take mine outside and swing them around helicopter-style for a few minutes. I don't know if it helps but it's fun.
Same here. I started using this technique with the gravel vac tubing I use to clean my fish tank with. Cracks my wife up every time, but I can't think of any better way.
pfgonzo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,372
Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProzHack View Post
Short of an upward draft, bacteria don't typically float upwards. Don't hang them full length vertical as it leaves even the smallest of openings vertical and exposed, but hang them from the middle so both ends are downward facing. Then if you ensure there's nothing in there for the little nasties to consume (clean/flush before drying), then sterilize before using you should be okay.
I hang mine like this. They mostly dry. I sanitize them before use as with anything else.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
Coachlight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Thanks all. Appreciate the input.
Coachlight is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
johnsma22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 1,891
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts

Default

I have tanks of nitrogen that I use for work. I use the nitrogen to blow my hoses dry. Works like a charm. Don't use compressed air though, as it probably contains some oil.


__________________
Cheers,
John
johnsma22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS