Bottled beer not carbonated - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottled beer not carbonated

Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
DirtyOldDuck

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Portland, Oregon
Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnoiz View Post
I'm in a similar situation as the OP. Brewed an AG IIPA (~8.7%), used WLP007, cold crashed before bottling, and did add the usual priming sugar. It has been in bottles at room temp (~75F) for 4 weeks now. It tastes good, but it is flat. I kegged and force-carb'd a portion of this same batch, and it turned out amazing.

I'm considering 2 options:

1 - Take all of the bottles, open them, siphon them into a keg (cleaned and sanitized of course) quietly (so as to limit the exposure to oxygen), add some leaf hops in a hop bag in the keg (thinking it would guard against potential infections), purge the keg's headspace with CO2, and then get the force-carb in motion.

2 - Slightly agitate the bottles to get the yeasty sediment back in suspension, and let sit at room temp for a few more weeks.

It seems the consensus is to take the route of option #2, which is what I'll try. If it doesn't work, I can go with option #1. Any thoughts on doing #1?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Save the beer!
People will tell you not to do it and that you will ruin your beer. I had a DIPA that was flat as beer can be after 8 -10 weeks in the bottle. All I can think is that I forgot to prime, although I can swear I remember doing so. Anyway, I was unwilling to wait any longer for a beer that I think is best fresh so I emptied all that I had left (we had gone through a few taste tests between weeks three and ten) into a sanitized keg, force carbonated it and we drank it. I do not doubt that it is possible to oxidize beer and have it taste like cardboard, but this beer tasted great and the keg was gone in less than 10 days. I would do it again with that style beer.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
RacingRam

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Madison, WI
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Bump. Dirty, how did you get the beer into the keg? Siphon each bottle or shoot some CO2 in and pour? I've got some bottled APA that's flat as a board after 3+ weeks. You can sense a little carbonation if you're really looking for it, but that's it. I can't imagine it making much improvement with age.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
Rpwallace1
Recipes 

May 2012
Okinawa, Japan

I've noticed beer that I don't rack (from primary to bottling) carbonate in 7-10 days. Beers that I rack take at LEAST two weeks, sometime more. I would assume this is due to more yeast being around in the non-racked beer.