Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast starter for small batches

Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
BadKarma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Yeast starter for small batches

Here's a curve ball for y'all.

I've decided that brewing smaller batches (2.5 gal) will be more economical in my search for those recipes that I like. I blame Chris from BYO for giving me this curse

My question is: How can I give my yeast the best start? I understand re hydrating dry yeast, but what to do about liquid yeast has me stumped. There has got to be a way to give the yeast a leg up on these smaller batches.

Thanks everyone for supporting me in this time of getting back into this life style.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Make your starter earlier and let it settle. Pour off the 'starter fluid', add some cooled wort and mix well, pitch.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-06-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

i would think that with the liquids there would no need for a starter. They are usually recommended for 5 gallon batches.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

While we are on the topic, this is an awesome resource:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I think for most ales the smack packs and WL vials would be pitching the right amount or more.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't read the BYO article on small batches, but it sounds like the idea is cheaper batches allows for more experimentation to find and/or fine tune what you like.
Why not find 2 recipies that use the same yeast, make a normal starter and split it. You can put the half you don't pitch in the fridge until you brew that yeast's "sister batch".

Old 07-06-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley-Davidson
I haven't read the BYO article on small batches, but it sounds like the idea is cheaper batches allows for more experimentation to find and/or fine tune what you like.
Why not find 2 recipies that use the same yeast, make a normal starter and split it. You can put the half you don't pitch in the fridge until you brew that yeast's "sister batch".
This is a good idea. Yeast will be good in the fridge for quite a while.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
BadKarma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley-Davidson
That is a great idea, thanks bro. About how long would the yeast be good for in the fridge?

Blender, thats what Chris said in the article.

Thanks everyone.

Lee

Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma
That is a great idea, thanks bro. About how long would the yeast be good for in the fridge?
I think it can stay in the fridge for a while, but if it's more than a week you might want to make a new starter.

I'm sure someone with more experience with this can give you a more precise answer.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
BadKarma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I emailed Wyeast with this question. Will post their reply.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Don't overlook Yeast as an ingredient! I myself would make 5 gallons and ferment 2.5 with one yeast, 2.5 with another! It really does make a difference, but to address the original question: I would use .5 gallon of water and 1/2 lb of dme or whatever you are using, combined with the yeast. I would just let it go 6 hours or so and then brew. Too much yeast is better than not enough, but you don't want to overdo it. And spring for the liquid yeast, I prefer whitelabs.