Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #271
Beerbelcher44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used this yeast on a IPA and I get a yeasty taste I dont get from nottingham or S05 I wont use this again

Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #272
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1229

As my ipa aged, I get a dry yeast aroma but a generally nice beer taste overall and great appearance with goood foam retention and lacing, althouth its not crystal clear. I would say its pretty minerally/dry yeasty overall.Has a nice mouthfeel and taste but pretty standard like notty/05. Seems hit or miss depending what style-I guess. I would use it intermittently. I think Im pretty sold on liquid yeast and starters for my homebrews maybe as far as yeast. Dry yeast seem to take on what it wants with age,which seems to be dry and their dry character.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #273
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Oh, it's clear, alright!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3287470807.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	114222

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #274
Petey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Has anyone experienced any diacetyl off favors with BRY-97? Many of us from the homebrew club have experienced this flavor in the beers fermented with this yeast. We all direct pitched the yeast. We've since rebrewed those beers and rehydrated the yeast before pitching. Results still to follow but curious if anyone else has experienced that.

Secondary# 1:
Secondary # 2:

On Tap:
Robust Porter
White IPA
Dry Irish Stout

Kegged & Waiting:

Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #275
BigJack
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey View Post
Has anyone experienced any diacetyl off favors with BRY-97? Many of us from the homebrew club have experienced this flavor in the beers fermented with this yeast. We all direct pitched the yeast. We've since rebrewed those beers and rehydrated the yeast before pitching. Results still to follow but curious if anyone else has experienced that.
I've only used it once, and I overpitched. (I used a whole pack for a 2.25 gallon batch.) Zero diacetyl and almost no esters. Very clean fermentation for me.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #276
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey
None at all-- direct pitch into 5 gallons of Brown Ale... almost too clean

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #277
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No diacetyl here either. I got a touch of banana in my first pour from the keg. But that one had the first pull of sediment in it. No off flavors or aromas here.

Did a side by side, split batches. One got us05, one got the 97. The 97 is a little more estery and lower in hop aroma/flavor. It performed more like WLP 002 than a Chico strain for me. Although it definitely didn't drop brite like the 002 does.

Fermented both at 68f.

I may try this in a more malt focused beer in the future

Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #278
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Just bottled up a pale ale over the weekend. I have brewed this recipe before with Wlp 001 and us 05. First, there was no hop aroma. Just earthy, yeasty, maltiness which was unusual for this beer. Flavor was similar to aroma with a bit of candy/ caramel flavor. Definitely had a lot more yeast chunks floating around, even after 4 weeks in primary. I'll give this plenty of time in the bottle before I make my final decision, but so far, I'm not really liking this yeast.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #279
croakerj
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

I pitched with 97 after a us-05 that I killed did not tale off. Turns out I didn't kill the 05 just got scared. Anyway the over pitchingare for a 12 hr fermentation. Now I have a funny smelling xtra pale.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #280
Lagger
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewed a 1.070 IPA on Saturday, with the resultant 24 hour lag phase. Last Sunday kicked off an agressive fermentation (no blow off) which seems to be primarily finished now Tuesday morning I know its conditioning, but krausen has already dropped. Not even S-04 finished this fast!

I like this yeast so far. Lag sucks, but starter type agressive fermentation in the chamber I havent seen from a dry yeast before. And one that happens fast. I also ferment in 5gal carboys, so the minimal headspace required seems to make this a winner so far.