Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #191
hbhudy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhudy View Post
UPDATE
There is a growing krausen (about an inch or so) and fermentation has definitely started.. The temp is sitting at about 64* now and we are waiting for the massive raging fermentation others have described..
OK so now the krausen has reached the neck of the Better Bottle 6gallon Carboy. Just put a blowoff tube on and looking forward to see the progress tomorrow morning.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #192
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I've got a smoked IPA (brewed Saturday) and a Nut Brown (brewed Sunday) - both at 66 degrees chugging along. Both took about 30 hours to get started and both have a little 1 inch krausen. Steady, but lackluster fermentation. I brewed the Nut Brown about a year ago and used Nottingham - it was volcanic!

This yeast doesn't seem to have the fireworks that others have produced, but I guess the bottom line will be revealed when I take my final gravity reading after three weeks and ultimately after it's been kegged and on gas for a week or two.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #193
zyx345
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I pitched mine in a Hazelnut Brown Ale at 62 degrees and 24 hours later I have about 1/2" of krausen. Yeast was rehydrated per the instructions on the back of the packet. I pitched 1 packet into a 1.060 wort.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #194
BrewerE
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

My American Pale Ale JUST started after 30 hours (I finally have airlock action but no foam yet) and mean just, I was gone for an hour after no action and when I got home, bubbles.
Sitting at 63-65*, pitched at 72ish after (mostly) rehydrating per the instructions

Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #195
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerE View Post
My American Pale Ale JUST started after 30 hours (I finally have airlock action but no foam yet) and mean just, I was gone for an hour after no action and when I got home, bubbles.
Sitting at 63-65*, pitched at 72ish after (mostly) rehydrating per the instructions
Normal with this yeast. It will probably be done by Saturday with the main course.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #196
brun064
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I logged on just to post about my IPA test I did with US-05 vs BRY-97 and I find this. I brewed 10 gallons of American IPA and put into two fermenters. I rehydrated one packet of US-05 and one of BRY-97, each with 150mL of 90F filtered water. I pitched at 75F and kept in a temperature controlled fridge at 64F. I checked again about 16 hours later and the US-05 had a nice, healthy 2" krausen. No activity on the BRY-97. I checked again 22 hours after pitching and the BRY-97 had a 2" krausen. Waited 1 week for primary to finish. Dry hopped for 2 weeks in secondary. Kegged and carbed for 2 days before tasting.

Results:

The US-05 finishes with more bitternes. It also leave more hop flavor on your tongue. The aroma is clean with a slight hint of esters. The hop presence is definitely stronger than the BRY-97.

The BRY-97 doesn't finish very bitter. Instead it brings out more of the maltiness and C-60 in the recipe. The aroma is very sweet (due to the C-60, I believe) but not very hoppy. The Crystal malt stays on the tongue more than the hops, so it doesn't really taste like an IPA overall.

After tasting the difference, I can 100% say that I'm sticking with US-05. It was a fun experiment to try the West Coast strain, but it just killed my hop aroma and flavor. The beer I made with it was OK, but the US-05 had much more complexity. If I didn't know better, I would swear they are from different batches.

Cheers,

Bruno

Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #197
BrewerE
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY

Normal with this yeast. It will probably be done by Saturday with the main course.
Thanks, I just wanted to add to the 'database' since it seems like this is a new yeast.

After reading this thread today I wasn't too worried, but am feeling better now (just my second batch)

Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #198
hbhudy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

OK.. So quick update.. My Honey Pils is running like a champ with a huge krausen and churning like crazy (low 1050 brew) so I am thinking it will be done soon..

Now for Brun064
""Results:

The US-05 finishes with more bitternes. It also leave more hop flavor on your tongue. The aroma is clean with a slight hint of esters. The hop presence is definitely stronger than the BRY-97.

The BRY-97 doesn't finish very bitter. Instead it brings out more of the maltiness and C-60 in the recipe. The aroma is very sweet (due to the C-60, I believe) but not very hoppy. The Crystal malt stays on the tongue more than the hops, so it doesn't really taste like an IPA overall.

After tasting the difference, I can 100% say that I'm sticking with US-05. It was a fun experiment to try the West Coast strain, but it just killed my hop aroma and flavor. The beer I made with it was OK, but the US-05 had much more complexity. If I didn't know better, I would swear they are from different batches.""

I am thinking this may lead to a differnt thought for me (at least).. Maybe this is more of a ale to lager yeast and should be used in place of cali-common yeasts?? Any thoughts??

Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #199
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brun064
I logged on just to post about my IPA test I did with US-05 vs BRY-97 and I find this. I brewed 10 gallons of American IPA and put into two fermenters. I rehydrated one packet of US-05 and one of BRY-97, each with 150mL of 90F filtered water. I pitched at 75F and kept in a temperature controlled fridge at 64F. I checked again about 16 hours later and the US-05 had a nice, healthy 2" krausen. No activity on the BRY-97. I checked again 22 hours after pitching and the BRY-97 had a 2" krausen. Waited 1 week for primary to finish. Dry hopped for 2 weeks in secondary. Kegged and carbed for 2 days before tasting.

Results:

After tasting the difference, I can 100% say that I'm sticking with US-05. It was a fun experiment to try the West Coast strain, but it just killed my hop aroma and flavor. The beer I made with it was OK, but the US-05 had much more complexity. If I didn't know better, I would swear they are from different batches.

Cheers,

Bruno
Bruno, thanks for reporting on this yeast. Your data is interesting.

I would love to hear how your two beers compare after 3-4 weeks aging in the keg. 2 days in the keg is pretty short. My pale ales don't peek until 3-4 weeks in keg after 3 in the fermenter.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #200
zyx345
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyx345 View Post
I pitched mine in a Hazelnut Brown Ale at 62 degrees and 24 hours later I have about 1/2" of krausen. Yeast was rehydrated per the instructions on the back of the packet. I pitched 1 packet into a 1.060 wort.
The krausen on mine just started to go down and I only had 1 day of strong activity. There appears to be a settling down now and the yeast is forming a compact cake at the bottom.

Has anyone experienced only 1 day of strong fermentation activity?

I realize a hydrometer sample is the only way to tell but I want to give it at least a week.