Cascades in Key West - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Cascades in Key West

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #111
BlakeL
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Orlando, Florida
Posts: 320
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmech View Post
I got Columbus and they sent me Teamaker for free, so I planted it anyway.

The crowns were in great shape and were shooting up green within a day of planting them. The only thing I am worried about is getting a frost for a couple nights in the next few months. I'll just have to be watchful and cover the plants if it looks like it's gonna get too cold.
I've never heard of Teamaker hops... interesting. I'll probably order them in the next few weeks. Is the soil you used what people mostly recommend?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #112
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Posts: 6,154
Liked 745 Times on 576 Posts


I'd go with a mix of potting soil, perlite, and compost. They burn through nitrogen so foliar feed with a fish emulsion mix unless you have a fish or turtle tank. Then just use that water. You don't need to prune anything. Just let the best 3-4 bines grow and clip any new sprouts that pop out. If a bine tip breaks it just starts regrowing from the last leaf set before the break. I posted pics of all the nutes and stuff I used in the beginning of the thread if you wanna see what I used.
__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Black Caesar RIS
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Smoked Porter, Key West Best Bitter, Gz Up - Gose Down
On Deck : Imperial Dry Hopped Sour, Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #113
BrokenArmBrewing
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
spring hill, florida
Posts: 263
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts


I'm looking to move mine out of the pot this weekend. KegErator, Any action in yours yet. I think we may have one more cold snap but should be mild the rest of our winter
__________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants up to be happy"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Br...06422039446902

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #114
BlakeL
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Orlando, Florida
Posts: 320
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
I'd go with a mix of potting soil, perlite, and compost. They burn through nitrogen so foliar feed with a fish emulsion mix unless you have a fish or turtle tank. Then just use that water. You don't need to prune anything. Just let the best 3-4 bines grow and clip any new sprouts that pop out. If a bine tip breaks it just starts regrowing from the last leaf set before the break. I posted pics of all the nutes and stuff I used in the beginning of the thread if you wanna see what I used.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Columbus crown and it should arrive sometime next week.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #115
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Posts: 6,154
Liked 745 Times on 576 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Columbus crown and it should arrive sometime next week.
More than welcome.
__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Black Caesar RIS
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Smoked Porter, Key West Best Bitter, Gz Up - Gose Down
On Deck : Imperial Dry Hopped Sour, Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #116
Ddubduder
 
Ddubduder's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 228
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


I've got Centennial, Willamette and Galena crowns in their pots now. Thanks for all the good advice in the thread, it's given me ample push to give growing a try myself. If they can grown in South Florida, mid Florida should be not too different.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #117
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Posts: 6,154
Liked 745 Times on 576 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubduder
I've got Centennial, Willamette and Galena crowns in their pots now. Thanks for all the good advice in the thread, it's given me ample push to give growing a try myself. If they can grown in South Florida, mid Florida should be not too different.
Good to see, it can be done!! Just make sure the pots are big enough for the crowns to grow. That's one thing I'm changing for this hop season.
__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Black Caesar RIS
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Smoked Porter, Key West Best Bitter, Gz Up - Gose Down
On Deck : Imperial Dry Hopped Sour, Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #118
Ddubduder
 
Ddubduder's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 228
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


I've got them in plastic half barrels now, I think they should be big enough. The only thing I'm thinking is the holes I drilled might not be big enough. I drilled probably about 12-15 but I only used a 1/4in drill bit, probably should have gone for a 1in hole but fewer of them. Oh we'll, all part of the process of learning.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #119
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Posts: 6,154
Liked 745 Times on 576 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubduder
I've got them in plastic half barrels now, I think they should be big enough. The only thing I'm thinking is the holes I drilled might not be big enough. I drilled probably about 12-15 but I only used a 1/4in drill bit, probably should have gone for a 1in hole but fewer of them. Oh we'll, all part of the process of learning.
If you used a good amount of perlite in the potting mix you should be fine.
__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Black Caesar RIS
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Smoked Porter, Key West Best Bitter, Gz Up - Gose Down
On Deck : Imperial Dry Hopped Sour, Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #120
CDGoin
 
CDGoin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Midlothian, Virginia
Posts: 682
Liked 81 Times on 60 Posts


Sorry if this has been mentioned in the 10+ pages..

But where would you recommend buying the "saplings"

Thinking of doing this as well..

Want to try a pure home brew.. all local products fresh from my backyard or farm.
__________________
BEER - Some call it a problem, I call it a Hobby
  1. In the primary : MarZZzzen
  2. In the secondary : #$^%^*%$#

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video of Cascades Hopfarmer Hops Growing 6 08-17-2011 05:30 PM
4th Year Cascades Hopfarmer Hops Growing 9 08-10-2011 04:03 PM
Cascades Paulasaurus Hops Growing 9 01-13-2011 05:58 PM
Cascades slow to come up? Selfsufficient Hops Growing 16 05-15-2009 07:53 PM
My cascades! Yooper Hops Growing 18 11-10-2008 11:30 PM


Forum Jump