CO2 on the Outside of Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueGoose85

Reaction score
Can I get away with just using silicone sealant around the hole and tubing for a secure fit?

I didnt want to have to mess with any additional hardware, and thought this route could be quick, easy, and effective.

thanks.

I don't have anything around mine, just a tight fit. Silicone would be fine.

Hi

Why even bother with the silicone? Drill the right size hole and the tube just barely squeaks through.

Bob

Sharp sheet metal edges plus a rubber CO2 line sounds like a bad idea. Did you do something to the cut to ensure there is no way to abrade and eventually cut the gas line?

I've been looking at various HW stores for a good solution, in the meantime my gas bottle sits in the fridge.

any proven methods to ensure i dont hit a line? Would a stud finder with an electrical wiring detector work?

I saw a youtube video once where a guy cut a hole in the top of a compact fridge. Appraently the cooling lines were enclosed in the top. Don't take my bad memory as fact, check out the video. (sanyo conversion or something like that)

What I remember him doing was making a solution of baking soad and water, turning on the fridge, "painting" the solution on top the fridge and the heat from the cooling coils (sounds backwards) dried the pasty solution and formed a map of the cooling line.

Another thing you can try to avoid hitting the coils is to drill a tiny hole, smallest you can find into the skin of the fridge, just break through the skin. Then take a sewing pin or something very small and probe around inside the hole you drilled to feel for a cooling line. Many people have done that, me included and it works. You just have to be careful, gentle.

TokyoRoad said:
Sharp sheet metal edges plus a rubber CO2 line sounds like a bad idea. Did you do something to the cut to ensure there is no way to abrade and eventually cut the gas line?

I've been looking at various HW stores for a good solution, in the meantime my gas bottle sits in the fridge.

I have 7 holes going in my fridge. I used air hose, and that stuff is rock hard. No way could you puncture it with a sliding motion.

I saw a youtube video once where a guy cut a hole in the top of a compact fridge. Appraently the cooling lines were enclosed in the top. Don't take my bad memory as fact, check out the video. (sanyo conversion or something like that)

What I remember him doing was making a solution of baking soad and water, turning on the fridge, "painting" the solution on top the fridge and the heat from the cooling coils (sounds backwards) dried the pasty solution and formed a map of the cooling line.

Another thing you can try to avoid hitting the coils is to drill a tiny hole, smallest you can find into the skin of the fridge, just break through the skin. Then take a sewing pin or something very small and probe around inside the hole you drilled to feel for a cooling line. Many people have done that, me included and it works. You just have to be careful, gentle.

WOW, nice find man. I found the journal. I will have to try that..cornstarch and vodka*

I have 1/4" mfl bulkheads to pass the CO2 from the outside to inside the brew fridge a d then manifolds. Makes it easy to do maintenance both inside and outside the brew fridge. I was also able to drill a smaller hole for each bulkhead this way. No cold air leaks out either due to how the bulkheads seal up.

Most HBS' carry these and they're not expensive (IMO). I have one spare for when i move and set up another fridge/keezer for kegs. :D

Hi

Drill a clean hole, clean it up with a little sand paper. The line isn't in motion through the hole if it's a tight fit. You have to tug on it pretty hard to get it to move.

Bob

I have 7 holes going in my fridge. I used air hose, and that stuff is rock hard. No way could you puncture it with a sliding motion.

Can you link to the hose you use? The stuff I see for CO2 lines is not going to win a battle with sheet metal.

Over time little motions add up to a cut gas line.

Back