Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Safbrew W-06

Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
MikeFallopian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Safbrew W-06

I've got some W-06 in the fridge and was wondering what it would be best for: witbier or hefeweizen?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
zegolf
Recipes 

Isn't SafBrew WB-06 a true belgian strain of yeast? Probably be better in a Witbier, if that's the case, considering a Wit is more of a belgian beer than hefes.

Ultimately, though, it's whatever you feel like making. Homebrewing is just one big experiment anyway, right?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just brewed a batch of beer using WB-06 and my ferm temps were on the high side (72-74*F). It produced a strong banana flavor and smell, but after 2 weeks of conditioning in the bottle the banana taste was gone but the smell was still there. Now 4 weeks later it has no banana flavor or smell. I bottled it after 3 weeks in the primary.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

WB-06 is a weird one. Some folks swear by it for American Wheats, I guess because, as goodsuds says, the banana flavor is very mild, or drops off completely. I used it once on a Weizenbock and liked it (but it took like 6 months to smooth out) and once in a split batch Dunkleweizen, and dumped it after several weeks. It was nasty, spicy and weird.

Bottom line for me is that I won't be using WB-06 again in a Hefeweizen, but I think it might be OK in a Wit.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
MikeFallopian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmm... what to do, what to do.

I've seen others mentioning good results for a hefe with the WB-06, though reviews overall are pretty mixed.

I've also got some S-33 knocking around, which is meant to be pretty good for a Wit. Should I blend them?

I do fancy making a hefe though, so I may take a gamble...

Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How about Brewferm Blanche?

EDIT: For a Wit that is...

Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you're dead set on using the WB-06 for a Hefeweizen I would suggest keeping the temps low. Most everything I've read about getting good results with it suggests keeping the temps in the low to mid 60's.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFallopian View Post
Hmm... what to do, what to do.

I've seen others mentioning good results for a hefe with the WB-06, though reviews overall are pretty mixed.

I've also got some S-33 knocking around, which is meant to be pretty good for a Wit. Should I blend them?

I do fancy making a hefe though, so I may take a gamble...
S-33 is NOT a belgian yeast. It is pretty widely believed to be the old EDME strain- unless you really mess with it, it is fairly clean and a touch bready. It is not meant for hefes or wits not matter what the manufacturer says.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
MikeFallopian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpred55 View Post
S-33 is NOT a belgian yeast. It is pretty widely believed to be the old EDME strain- unless you really mess with it, it is fairly clean and a touch bready. It is not meant for hefes or wits not matter what the manufacturer says.
Interesting - others on here have recommended using S-33 for a Wit, despite it being the old EDME strain. What would you recommend doing with this yeast then?

I also have some T-58 lying around, which others have recommended using for a Belgian Ale. What are your thoughts on that yeast?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
jhoyda
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsuds View Post
I just brewed a batch of beer using WB-06 and my ferm temps were on the high side (72-74*F). It produced a strong banana flavor and smell, but after 2 weeks of conditioning in the bottle the banana taste was gone but the smell was still there. Now 4 weeks later it has no banana flavor or smell. I bottled it after 3 weeks in the primary.
I did the EXACT same thing. I tried a bottle after about 8 days. Carbonation was there, but the banana was overpowering! I was bummed thinking I may have made a batch I couldn't drink. Tried another bottle at 14 days and the banana is almost gone and the hops are coming through