New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey. Yep previous poster leading you in right direction. Take the guess work out of it and use brewtarget. http://www.brewtarget.org
Brew a few take serious measurements using your equipment and take serious notes, i use http://www.brewblogger.net together they both work better than dads gumboots, had to throw that in being an ex-pat kiwi. i think both work on windows although i use linux and set blogger up on a localhost, but they both are free and take a lot of the guess work out and as in alot of things repeatative in nature, good notes make for better results.

Do you guys know where / how to get oxygen bottles? I've been to BOC and another place and they will only rent at something like 180 a year plus doesn't include a regulator and flow meter. I'm getting to the point where I'm giving up on ever getting oxygen and not being able to do lagers at proper oxygen levels.

Chur.

Ah awesome cheers guys, will do a bit of research and look into it.
Might try work out the boil off tomorrow actually. Looking at buying a 37L pot too, it might make things a bit easier by having extra room

What efficiency are you aiming to get from your biab?
I did mine today and got 87%, which im pretty stoked with. Thats with a sparge, bag squeeze and double milled malt. My first one only achieved 65% though (single milled and no bag squeeze).

I'm hitting between 70-77%.

But I'm not too sure yet weather that is accurate. I just switched to new software, and it dosnt allow me to change the water absorption of the grain, so I'm having to change things on the fly a little.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Using your grain bill, gravity and final volume should give you your efficiency, unless i have been doing it wrong.

Im also after some help, i just used washed yeast dor the first time, and it has taken off like a rocket. Im just wondering if there is sucha. Thing as too much yeast, and would it be possible from a second gen yeast? Considering you can pitch a wort straight back onto a yeast cake im guessing its alright but wanted a second opinion

You should rinse the junk out of the yeast cake and only use about a third of it.
Dump a litre of boiled and cooled water onto the cake, swirl and decant into a jug. Leave about 15minutes for the trub to settle out, the yeast stays in suspension longer so pour a third off and use that.
You can store the rest of the yeast...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-revisited-318684/

You should rinse the junk out of the yeast cake and only use about a third of it.
Dump a litre of boiled and cooled water onto the cake, swirl and decant into a jug. Leave about 15minutes for the trub to settle out, the yeast stays in suspension longer so pour a third off and use that.
You can store the rest of the yeast...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-revisited-318684/

It can affect the beer, but its unlikely, overpitching is much less of an issue than under-pitching.
Used the Mrmalty.com calculator for re-pitching, works wonders. I have also used the dumping on the existing yeast cake, without washing the yeast, justclean and sanitising the sides. i didn't have any issues.

I used all the yeast i washed out of it, it didnt look like much but but the time it had been in a starter it had doubles so will keep that in mind for next time.
is emitting a fruity smell but hopefully that will even out by the end of fermentation.

So I made a pilsner a few weeks ago and im starting to think i may have an infection... Have never lost a batch due to an infection so not sure if i am just being paranoid or have a legitimate ruined batch on my hands.
I used pilsner malt, a little carapils and 100% Nelson Sauvin hops; pitched 2packs of M84 bohemian lager yeast and off it went. Smelt delicious during fermentation and all seemed ok. The temp got a bit on the high side (around 16C at one point) but generally fermented at 12C steadily and filled the room with hoppy goodness. Primary is now well and truly over (at least 10days since it finished) and I lifted the lid to have a smell and it Smelt like a bad fart (lol). Not sure what this means but it doesn't smell like regular beer at this stage and actually is pretty gross; i was not keen to investigate further as the smell was very off-putting. I Didn't see any noticeable signs of anything irregular though. What should I do next? how do i really know if it is infected and needs to be dumped?

So I made a pilsner a few weeks ago and im starting to think i may have an infection... Have never lost a batch due to an infection so not sure if i am just being paranoid or have a legitimate ruined batch on my hands.
I used pilsner malt, a little carapils and 100% Nelson Sauvin hops; pitched 2packs of M84 bohemian lager yeast and off it went. Smelt delicious during fermentation and all seemed ok. The temp got a bit on the high side (around 16C at one point) but generally fermented at 12C steadily and filled the room with hoppy goodness. Primary is now well and truly over (at least 10days since it finished) and I lifted the lid to have a smell and it Smelt like a bad fart (lol). Not sure what this means but it doesn't smell like regular beer at this stage and actually is pretty gross; i was not keen to investigate further as the smell was very off-putting. I Didn't see any noticeable signs of anything irregular though. What should I do next? how do i really know if it is infected and needs to be dumped?

If its suplhur, its pretty normal, if not then yes, but give it time, as its a lager/pilsner, if you haven't done a D-Rest do it (lift to around 21 degrees for a period of time) someone else will be able to give you a good time frame for howlong, then get it into a cold fridge for minimum of 4 weeks, at the coldest you can, without freezing it obviously. by that stage, you should be able to tell by taste if theres an infection.
the other possibility is you've skunked it, with light strike?

Yeah sulphur is exactly how I would describe it actually, awesome thanks man that's great news (there's still hope). Can't be light strike as it hasn't moved from the basement.
I will chuck it on the heat pad tonight and bring up the temp for a few days. Looks like I need to get around to buying an old fridge though, have been putting that off

Yeah sulphur is exactly how I would describe it actually, awesome thanks man that's great news (there's still hope). Can't be light strike as it hasn't moved from the basement.
I will chuck it on the heat pad tonight and bring up the temp for a few days. Looks like I need to get around to buying an old fridge though, have been putting that off

I had this with the Bock I'm making, smelt nasty as but is all good now.
I dont have a second fridge yet, but I do have a 60L bucket from the warehouse ($15) which I chuck the fermentor in along with some water and frozen coke bottles filled with water. wrap in in a duvet and it keeps around 2-3C changing the bottles once a day

If its suplhur, its pretty normal, if not then yes, but give it time, as its a lager/pilsner, if you haven't done a D-Rest do it (lift to around 21 degrees for a period of time) someone else will be able to give you a good time frame for howlong, then get it into a cold fridge for minimum of 4 weeks, at the coldest you can, without freezing it obviously. by that stage, you should be able to tell by taste if theres an infection.

the other possibility is you've skunked it, with light strike?

I am doing a d rest at moment, raised temp 2 degrees for say 2 days then will cold crash, from what I have been told only need it raise it enough to rouse the yeast so they finish off the cleanup..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What do you guys think about gelatin Finnings? I've decided I hate them and refusing to use them again, cold crashing for a couple of days instead.

I think that it was putting a plastic'y taste in my beers which would age out but was less than ideal.

Damit just used it for the first time last week because my hop sock leaked out and I had to try remove all the floaters. Won't know for another 3weeks how it effects flavour, but i didnt find it helped that much anyway

I'm not 100% sure it was the finings but given the timing I'm assuming it was. Will be interesting to see if you get the same results.

I havnt used a hope sock yet, the one time I dry hopped it was with whole hops so they just kinda floated there and very little got into the glass at the end. Was a pain getting the small hop leaves out of the bottling wand and tubing though, stuck like sh** to a blanket

I'm not 100% sure it was the finings but given the timing I'm assuming it was. Will be interesting to see if you get the same results.

I havnt used a hope sock yet, the one time I dry hopped it was with whole hops so they just kinda floated there and very little got into the glass at the end. Was a pain getting the small hop leaves out of the bottling wand and tubing though, stuck like sh** to a blanket

It's unlikely it was the gelatin. I'd suggest a fermentation issue.
In saying that I'd does tend to strip hop flavour I think. By how much I'm not sure. But still. I'm not making commercial beer so a bit of haze is ok by me.

Really keen to try out whole hops though. Sure a cold crash would sort them. Or racking to a bottling bucket/keg.

It's unlikely it was the gelatin. I'd suggest a fermentation issue.
In saying that I'd does tend to strip hop flavour I think. By how much I'm not sure. But still. I'm not making commercial beer so a bit of haze is ok by me.

Really keen to try out whole hops though. Sure a cold crash would sort them. Or racking to a bottling bucket/keg.

The flavour developed over a couple of days after racking and adding the gelatin, could have been aeration but would that age out? I also thought it might have been picked up from my tubing but have ruled that out.

Im happy with the clarity of my beer through cold crashing anyway so im not losing anything with not adding the gelatin.

What hops were used for the beer - I find sometimes nz hops give me a plastic note - even in commercial beers. I think Luke from epic has mentioned something similar in the past.

My latest batch to try has the worst example of this taste yet, who is up for receiving a bottle and helping me identify it?

I tried my APA which I used gelatine finings for and i did notice any plastic tastes or unwanted off flavours; it actually tasted amazing! (only been in the bottle about 9 days though)

Also on an unrelated note, just bottled my IPA last night... overshot my ABV a tad and its sitting at 7.9% ...its a hangover in a bottle :D

I tried my APA which I used gelatine finings for and i did notice any plastic tastes or unwanted off flavours; it actually tasted amazing! (only been in the bottle about 9 days though)

Also on an unrelated note, just bottled my IPA last night... overshot my ABV a tad and its sitting at 7.9% ...its a hangover in a bottle :D

Im starting to think it might be a yeast issue, or perhaps just the green taste that no one seems to be able to explain.

I used to use the gelatine but now temp control ferment and then cold crash and I am getting much better results.. Another big improvement has come from bulk priming, getting my carbonation spot on for the beer type has improved things out of sight.. No longer seem to get that homebrew taste..

Its definately yeast in this batch.
The taste is aging out and has lowered to the point where it tastes like a wheat beer, without the fruity estery taste.
then i remember that i over pitched yeast in this batch and it all figures.

Its definately yeast in this batch.
The taste is aging out and has lowered to the point where it tastes like a wheat beer, without the fruity estery taste.
then i remember that i over pitched yeast in this batch and it all figures.

how much did you overpitch by??

Ok so this build is FINALLy over! Heres some pic's of my build, 2 years in the making. Brewing in Hamilton NZ, pilot brew next weekend!

BREWERY 1.jpg

BREWERY 2.jpg

BREWERY 3.jpg

BREWERY 4.jpg

BREWERY 13.jpg

BREWERY 6.jpg

BREWERY 8.jpg

BREWERY 10.jpg

BREWERY 14.jpg

BREWERY 16.jpg

Been a while, thread is looking a little quiet.

Finally got around to installing taps on the fridge. Plumbed in the second tap tonight, so have an Extra Special/Strong Bitter and an English Bitter on tap. Stoked as to have the 2 taps in!!!! Bit dangerous having 2 kegs on the go though!

Got some jalapenos growing that are ready for picking and smoking to finally brew my chilli chocolate stout. Cannot wait to finally have that sorted.

Also got a logo for the brewery as well, as below!!! Chuffed as!!!

123.jpg

Nice one! has been a long time since I posted in here. Just been lazy really.
We had the Greater Wellington Brewday festival last weekend; over 30 breweries and like 100+ beers available.... soooo good!

Also on the homebrew tip, I managed to win 3rd place in the hombrew competition for my Manuka Smoked American IPA :)

It has been a bit deserted. Gutted I missed that Wellington one, was looking at going but then The Taranaki brew fest got announced so decided against it.

I now have my fermentation temps under control and a proper chiller and my beer is way better. Next step is for some kegs. (anyone happen to be selling let me know)

I have been brewing, and slowly saving some pocket money to buy some more stuff. Got the STC1000 a couple of weeks ago, and once i get enough aside I will get a larger fridge, or get a mini fridge and make a cold box. Then I can maintain some temperatures. Then the next step is to improve my hotside, and then chilling. Was contemplating a grainfather, but its a reasonable investment with other family members to work with. So might take the low road and get a cooler, a burner and a immersion cooler.

Brewing wise I have made four blonde ales since christmas, refining and working with different hops. Latest one I mashed much higher, and chucked riwaka at the end of the boil - I tasted it a little green and was "eh", but as it aged a little, it came together far nicer.

Back