New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No clue. I tend to go to brewers and have an ipa if they have it or the American pale - better than speights

Cheers, with the setup I have I figure this partial kit is a good option !! Ps what were those hopes you gave me ? Sampled the Pilsner I have been lagering and it tastes 100 x better than last one :) the hops has defo helped among other things !!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Motueka. Sexy hop!

To the Palmerston North crew!!

Where can you get a decent craft brew in town? The village in is closed for a while. . . . And I don't think I can stomach another tui, Heineken, stein larger etc etc!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The Celtic have 1812 on tap and a fridge full of crafties.

Dammit I meant Celtic - it's the closest I have to a locL but never go there.

I reckon we should hit up Lunchies (cheaper than the Celtic lol.) in all seriousness Celtic or crown wld be my choice while nige is to busy sunning himself in Italy...

I'd be keen as to host a home brew function......
Kids are welcome, have the school next door to keep them occupied...

Maybe we book in a summer BBQ at my place? BYO and something for the BBQ?

Keen as. I will leave my tribe behind tho lol !!!

I would be keen to meet up with a few brewers around the place! No tribe to bring. . .. . Wifey has one in the oven though. So next time haha.

Today I got the mangrove jacks town crier kit on special at LHBS, with the speciality yeast and hops included It was worth the $40... Doesn't expire for over a year... Kit has two bags of malt extract, hops and yeast an hop bag....what cld I do to bump up abv ? has anyone tried this kit, does it need any additions ?

Also what's a Good fermentation temp and length of time for a pale ale , kit say to dry hop after 5 days, then another 5 days fermentation... Cheers

Today I got the mangrove jacks town crier kit on special at LHBS, with the speciality yeast and hops included It was worth the $40... Doesn't expire for over a year... Kit has two bags of malt extract, hops and yeast an hop bag....what cld I do to bump up abv ? has anyone tried this kit, does it need any additions ?

Also what's a Good fermentation temp and length of time for a pale ale , kit say to dry hop after 5 days, then another 5 days fermentation... Cheers

I'd brew it first, following directions, might be ok the way it is.
Failing that, maybe a tin of ultra light malt or pilsner malt to boost it up.

Fermentation time seems ok to me. Only way to know for sure is to brew it and keep an eye on the gravity, once its stopped, dry hop. I do that for my APA and it works a treat.

What yeast is in the kit?

Mangrove craft series M79 Burton Union (10 grams) hops are Celeia and admiral pallets (50 Grams)

2 x 1.5kg best bitter extract pouches

I'd brew it first, following directions, might be ok the way it is.

Failing that, maybe a tin of ultra light malt or pilsner malt to boost it up.

Fermentation time seems ok to me. Only way to know for sure is to brew it and keep an eye on the gravity, once its stopped, dry hop. I do that for my APA and it works a treat.

Thanks mate...

It says 18-23C so go with about 19C I reckon.

Hmmm, haven't had a home-brew in a week... might have to see if my sassy red has managed to carb up at 12C yet. Its been 4 weeks.

Sweet pitched @ 19 will keep it constant, had to fish out my stirring spoon when realised it was still in the fermenter... Hadn't added the yeast and 99% sure hands were still covered in steriliser so should be safe !! Hope so !!

Does anyone have the inside scoop on where to get glassware in NZ?

Dear god that **** is crazy expensive here!!

Depends what quality you are after... I got some from briscoes for work in their 50% off sale, which is every other weekend :) and they seem pretty decent...

Does anyone have the inside scoop on where to get glassware in NZ?

Dear god that **** is crazy expensive here!!

Here in christchurch they have a place called aikmans glassware, all sorts of stuff, which is cool. Check out your local brew shop, they have some glasses, and of course theres always the warehouse.

Most of my glassware are from a misguided youth and pinching them from various bars. I did spend the $$ on a pair of Spiegelau IPA glasses. I use them for all my beers though, not just IPA's.

Most of my glassware are from a misguided youth and pinching them from various bars. I did spend the $$ on a pair of Spiegelau IPA glasses. I use them for all my beers though, not just IPA's.

After reading this I have just remembered my in laws have boxes of the such left over from their restaurant that they closed years ago... I will be going hunting this weekend !

It says 18-23C so go with about 19C I reckon.

Hmmm, haven't had a home-brew in a week... might have to see if my sassy red has managed to carb up at 12C yet. Its been 4 weeks.

So my brew has been constant at 19 degrees since pitching last night, as it's my first time using a proper ale yeast how long until I see some activity ? As of yet nothing is happening....I know I need to let it do it's thing !! But what's a realistic time frame ?

24 to 48 hours. Depening if thy are being friendly yeasties. I think I have used that yeast and it was somewhere on the 30hr point.

So my brew has been constant at 19 degrees since pitching last night, as it's my first time using a proper ale yeast how long until I see some activity ? As of yet nothing is happening....I know I need to let it do it's thing !! But what's a realistic time frame ?

Took 3 days for any visible signs of fermentation on the beer I did when you came over. I wouldn't worry. It can be slowly chugging away building more yeast cells then it'll start fermenting.

Guess I have a pub crawl planned this weekend! Hahaha

Here in christchurch they have a place called aikmans glassware, all sorts of stuff, which is cool. Check out your local brew shop, they have some glasses, and of course theres always the warehouse.

True, hadn't thought of the whare house! Will have to try. Last trip to briscoes revealed that they only had handles.

. . . Or I may need to be patient and load up the inlaws with amazon purchases next time they head up.

true, hadn't thought of the whare house! Will have to try. Last trip to briscoes revealed that they only had handles.

. . . Or i may need to be patient and load up the inlaws with amazon purchases next time they head up.

Sent from my ipad using home brew

i picked up everyday pint glasses from the warehouse, along with some other stuff.

Don't forget mightyape.co.nz as well...

Best way to get some glasses. Esepcially if you are like me and the only person who drinks beer at your house. (all the more for me).

Placing a brew down this weekend. All my hoppy stuff has evaporated, so thought it an opportune time to get some US hops into an American amber/brown (or something something IPA if you will). Hopped, hopped and then dry hopped.

First time doing some labels !

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406792482.075828.jpg

Cheers guys !! Now the hard part ( waiting the couple more weeks before I sample it) here Is a close up, ps I can't cut out lol ! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406797713.315444.jpg

Cheers guys !! Now the hard part ( waiting the couple more weeks before I sample it) here Is a close up, ps I can't cut out lol ! View attachment 214581

Hahaha im always loathed to make lables that are not square. I have a problem with scissors!

Looks sweet man, be patient. Ah who am I kidding i can never wait past about a week and a half haha

Back