Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > tips for pumping/recirculating?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
luismatalon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default tips for pumping/recirculating?

I am a plumbing noob. I am upgrading my system and I am looking for tips...specifically venting.
In my previous system, I was recirculating a la Jamil...with a tube/immersion chiller combo. I would try to get most of the air out of the tubing before placing the tube/chiller combo in the boil kettle. Nevertheless, I would get a big ol air bubble blow up through my wort.
I don't like that. I want to tighten up this process on my new system.
In my new system, I'm going to just have a valve/port in the pot in lieu of the tube attached to the immersion coil for recirculation. What is a good way to rid myself of the air in the tube without making a mess? I am assuming I need a vent pipe of sorts...but it would have to be above the liquid line of the boil kettle, correct? Pictures would be awesome, if you have em.
Cheers!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 89

worried about hot side aeration? more trouble than it's worth.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
luismatalon
Recipes 

yea...I was worried about HSA. I tend to condition many of my brews for some time . Although I've never detected any off flavors in older brew, I still figured I'd aim for better control while I'm upgrading.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I built a recirculculation tube out of copper. I use it to fill the BK and never remove it. You do need a valve on it so you do not siphon. I start recycling about 15 minutes from the end of the boil. I have plate chiller and I do recycle through that to sanitizse (No cooling water). I do have a trub filter in the line as well (brewersHardware.com) I have three pumps although I really only use two at a time. The third I just use for hot water and use it to top off BK if I boil off too much and to also sanitize hoses, etc and as a spare if on of my other pumps starts giving me fits.