Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Extract - Caramel Ginger Beer

Old 12-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
dolver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So, mine turned out delicious! The only problem? I screwed up the carbonation. This is the first time I haven't used official "priming sugar" - I used brown sugar and used a calculator to figure out how much brown sugar I should use, but for whatever reason, it didn't do the trick. But unlike any other beer I have made, it is still palatable, even when flat!

I also ordered a Fizz Giz to help with this problem.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Worked up a 2-gallon batch of this last night.

My version of the recipe looks like this:

1.5 lbs ginger, chopped w/skin on.
1 lb 6 oz brown sugar (too lazy to caramelize it)
2 lemons, juiced
S-04

I steeped the ginger in 3/4 gallon of boiling water for 45 mins, strained into fermenter & repeated w/another 3/4 gallon for 45 mins. Added sugar, then topped off with 1/2 gallon cold water and lemon juice. Cooled to 100 degrees, pitched yeast.

The "wort" smelled and tasted fantastic - very sweet, very nice ginger bite to it. Started fermenting within two hours, & bubbling away happily as I type.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #13
VincentxH
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Most forms of processed sugar are easily fermentable. I'd try a low attenuation British ale yeast, light dme and steeping ginger. But prob also a ginger syrup or concoction to heighten the fresh ginger through priming.