little advice on how long to store for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie118

Reaction score
As tilte says how long can i store/age in a bottle before drinking.my team leader been brewing for a few years and told me they will only last a few months is this true or will they last longer

Many thanks in advance

I believe you were mis-informed. Good cider is more like like wine than beer, it improves with age. Traditionally it is made in the fall and not considered ready to drink until at least the following spring/summer.
I haven't been doing this very long but I can tell you that my first batch bottled in January tastes a lot smoother now than it did then.

as long as it isn't infected or oxidized, then it could go south more quickly. but assuming normal clean practices when racking and bottling it should keep well, as jkoegel points out, it almost invariably improves quite a bit over say 6 months. i don't drink mine until may at the earliest

I have a couple of bottled ciders and one keg that are approaching 2.5 years old. They tasted horrible for the first year and half and then it was almost like their flavors integrated. If there are more tannins and a lower pH they will last longer. Your can purchase acid blends and grape tannins to add in small amounts. I've done it on one of the old ciders that I have and I helped to round out the flavor profile.

Back