Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cooler or Rims
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
nukonamo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 30
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cooler or Rims

I want to upgrade my mash/lauter tun. I am currently using a plastic bucket wrapped in a blanket and it doesn't have the best temperature stability. I am thinking of either doing a 10 gallon cooler conversion or a RIMS tube. Does anyone have any input?


nukonamo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North County, San Diego, California
Posts: 396
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

I'm a gadget guy and love the idea of a direct fired RIMS system but for money reasons went with this - not as much bling factor but works awesome and I lose 0 degrees over an hour mash. 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler with an 11 gal Bayou Classic pot liner.


Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-5.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	63670  
__________________
TIKI Brew
lpdjshaw is offline
Protto Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
milesvdustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 631
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

That is awesome!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsethall View Post
It's like a big hot douche for my brewery.
milesvdustin is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
mountainman13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 277
Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

I have a cooler with a RIMS. Overkill? Maybe, but it is nice having complete control of it, and makes step mashes a breeze. I just bought 3 20 gallon kettles and will be switching to a direct fired MLT with RIMS. Why? Who knows, thats just how I roll.
mountainman13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
goybar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 253
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdjshaw View Post
I'm a gadget guy and love the idea of a direct fired RIMS system but for money reasons went with this - not as much bling factor but works awesome and I lose 0 degrees over an hour mash. 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler with an 11 gal Bayou Classic pot liner.
That's pretty slick, what kind of modifications if any were required to make the kettle fit?

Is it a snug or loose fit?


Chris
goybar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
nukonamo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 30
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I have a cooler with a RIMS. Overkill? Maybe, but it is nice having complete control of it, and makes step mashes a breeze. I just bought 3 20 gallon kettles and will be switching to a direct fired MLT with RIMS. Why? Who knows, thats just how I roll.
I think this might be the approach I take. I like the ability to have complete control of the temperature.
nukonamo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North County, San Diego, California
Posts: 396
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goybar View Post
That's pretty slick, what kind of modifications if any were required to make the kettle fit?

Is it a snug or loose fit?


Chris
It fits snug - required shaving down the inside of the cooler and a few other mods. Here's a link to the thread that I got the idea from:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-mash-tun-268370/
__________________
TIKI Brew
lpdjshaw is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
kevin509
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

How far down did you cut the threaded portion of the cooler off? I want to try this but I little nervous about diving into it.
kevin509 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North County, San Diego, California
Posts: 396
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin509 View Post
How far down did you cut the threaded portion of the cooler off? I want to try this but I little nervous about diving into it.
Check out the photos is the thread, you'll see it's right at the step. The hieght is just right for the ss pot and it leaves you with the hard cooler plastic across the top.
__________________
TIKI Brew
lpdjshaw is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
kevin509
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdjshaw

Check out the photos is the thread, you'll see it's right at the step. The hieght is just right for the ss pot and it leaves you with the hard cooler plastic across the top.
Thanks, that's what it looked like but figured I'd ask.


kevin509 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS