Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What is the best way to aerate?

Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
Copbrew133
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Williamsbrewing.com oxygen aeration system with the wand, stone, hose, and regulator. Well worth the price IMO.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copbrew133 View Post
Williamsbrewing.com oxygen aeration system with the wand, stone, hose, and regulator. Well worth the price IMO.
Those dont have a filter?Or need a filter? And how much are those oxygen tanks at hardware stores? Do you only aerate it once at first or do you keep it in and aerate again (think i read something about that) ?, after a few hours or hour or whatever?

Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #13
Meatyboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first batch I just poured the wort into my fermentor from a good 3 feet up. Splashed out a lot by mistake. Second batch I got lazy and poured it in my fermentor, made some clips and attached them to my power drill and spun the monkey like mad, lotta bubbles.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
the75
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Those dont have a filter?Or need a filter? And how much are those oxygen tanks at hardware stores? Do you only aerate it once at first or do you keep it in and aerate again (think i read something about that) ?, after a few hours or hour or whatever?
Just once. It's pure oxygen. These smaller kits will do the trick just fine & I almost bought one just like it. I decided to go for the bigger tank because it was more cost effective in the long run. These smaller tanks run out much quicker than the welding sized tanks.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I use the Fizz-X Degasser / Mixer available on eBay and have been extremely satisfied with it. The thing is extremely durable as I've also used it to agitate an ice bath while pre-chilling water for my CFC.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260117971964...9#ht_500wt_689

Old 06-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I've poured my beer back and forth between two buckets. It seems to be effective, but it is quite messy as I tend to splash a lot of beer as I'm doing it. Of course, I've also usually got around a 6 pack in me so that doesn't help on the accuracy of pouring the beer...

I do think I'm going to invest in a paint mixer drill bit though for my future brews. Seems like it would be just as effective as my pouring method but far less messy...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just let my wort fall freely into the fermenter through a funnel then cap the carboy and shake the $4!+ out of it for 45 seconds. According to a rep at wyeast shaking anything over 45 seconds is a waste of time. Seems to work well as I've had no problems to this point and I'm on my 5th batch.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Funnel into the carboy + shaking seems to work well. I haven't had yeast quit early on me yet. I think the quality and quantity of yeast is a lot more important than the quality of aeration.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I use a wide mouth funnel with a screen filter on it, and it works wonders, the only PITA is when the hops and trub block the filter, then you just scrape it with a spoon. A good side effect is a cleaner fermenter in the end with less sediment.

I just would have a hard time justifying a $50+ investment in an oxygen aeration system, because it doesn't have any benefit besides saving time. I got a hydrometer because it saved beer, and that was my 56$ investment.