Consecration kit from MoreBeer - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #41
ao125
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Alexandria, VA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd View Post
If you have access to Russian River sours, you can use the dregs from the bottles to add to secondary to get similar results. You don't really need the chunk of barrel.
I was contemplating doing a Westy 12 clone with a pitch of RR dregs in secondary. Well... RR or possibly Orval since it's infinitely easier to source on the East coast... but I'd really like to do RR.

Kegged (1/3): Single-Hop NZ Rakau Oatmeal IPA
Kegged (2/3): Smoked Peruvian Pepper Cider
Kegged (3/3): (empty)

Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #42
Coff
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 184 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
Just ordered this kit last night. I've heard great things about the "real" version and it's impossible to get in Pennsylvania, so brewing my own is the next best thing! Looking forward to it!
Yea you can pretty much get it whenever you want in Philly and the surrounding suburbs.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #43
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6625 Times on 3914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao125 View Post
I was contemplating doing a Westy 12 clone with a pitch of RR dregs in secondary. Well... RR or possibly Orval since it's infinitely easier to source on the East coast... but I'd really like to do RR.
I've never had a westy, but it's not a sour beer. Consecration is. Unless I'm misunderstanding your intentions, RR dregs would ruin a Westy clone.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #44
ao125
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Alexandria, VA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I've never had a westy, but it's not a sour beer. Consecration is. Unless I'm misunderstanding your intentions, RR dregs would ruin a Westy clone.
I wanted to turn it into a sour.

Kegged (1/3): Single-Hop NZ Rakau Oatmeal IPA
Kegged (2/3): Smoked Peruvian Pepper Cider
Kegged (3/3): (empty)

Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #45
jtejedor
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Las Vegas
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

One thing that confuses me is the note on the site says: "You will need to purchase a yeast for primary (we recommend Abbey Ale), Brettanomyces for the souring/aging process," Then the body of the description mentions to buy roselare yeast. Wouldn't the barrel chunks have the bug on them? Why do we need to buy separate bugs if the barrel chunks already have the bugs on them?

Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #46
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

I don't think the barrel chunks have anything viable in it. They might, but I wouldn't count on it. I think the barrel thing is more marketing than actually getting the RR bugs.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #47
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6625 Times on 3914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I don't think the barrel chunks have anything viable in it. They might, but I wouldn't count on it. I think the barrel thing is more marketing than actually getting the RR bugs.
I just added oak and got pretty close with my clone. Roeselare. I'll probably give it another try in the fall (I've got a ton of it that needs drinking... )

Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #48
leolee86
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn

I just added oak and got pretty close with my clone. Roeselare. I'll probably give it another try in the fall (I've got a ton of it that needs drinking... )
Congrats, also I'm both jealous and envious

Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #49
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
To clarify, I didn't mean that the beer doesn't benefit from the oak; there's just probably nothing special about using the oak in the kit versus any other oak at Morebeer except you can tell people you aged your clone on RR barrel wood.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #50
leolee86
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I may be wrong. But I'm pretty sure the bacteria can survive I'm the oak, as long as you don't heat it up