Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #291
bdgrfrisch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I plan to ad the wine yeast and bottle condition. I'm just getting ready to ad the oak and let that sit until I'm satisfied with the taste.

I have two things that I am wondering about - 1) How many are adding wine to the fermenter with the oak; 2) Having never had the actual beer, what sort of carbonation level are we really shooting for? 2.5 vol, 3vol, 3+vol?

Mine's been in the carboy for a bit over a year and is down to about 1.002. Nice and tart, mild brett notes... or just plain good.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #292
CarlE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just bottled my MoreBeer Consecration kit after 13 months of fermenting and aging. FG = 1.005. I used Rockpile yeast and 4oz corn sugar for bottle carbonation. It tasted and smelled great! Only a few weeks to go till tasting the final product after over a year of waiting....

I had a friend lift the dagger image from the RR bottle label and I etched it onto my bottle caps with the laser cutter we have at work. Turned out great! Picture attached.

-Carl

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2012.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	145005  

Old 08-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #293
hllywd
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I like the caps Carl, nice idea.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #294
nikolausp
Recipes 

What is the best temperature to store the bottled beer in after bottling with the corn sugar / wine yeast, while we wait for carbonation?

Old 08-31-2013, 02:00 AM   #295
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

70-75F for a week or two should do the trick. I throw my bottle conditioning bottles into my ferment fridge and set my controller to 75 for two weeks and I have never had a beer fail to carb in that time.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #296
josh-h
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

brewed 13 gallons of this today. Brew day went well, missed the gravity by a little 1.071 so i tossed in 1/2# corn sugar that i had left over. feel good about it. next year about this time i hope to be enjoying this great sour.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #297
jrgtr42
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I got one of those kits last summer. Brewed last weekend August '12. Bottled it mid-September this year.
The only thing I wasn't able to get with the high mash point - it stuck around 153, no matter what I did. Had an enormously active fermentation, racked to secondary and pitched the bug blend at about a month, maybe 6 weeks after brew day (don't have my notes in front of me.)I added the currents when I racked it, then added the oak around early August when I tasted it and it was almost where I wanted it.
I added a dash of S05 when bottling, and gave it a month in bottles before tasting. I'm extremely happy with how it came out, nice sour factor without being too much.
I do plan on brewing this again, though with the info sheet that came with it, I don't have to get the kit again.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #298
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Is there a consensus on what volume to carb this beer to? I'll probably shoot for 3vols but just curious what others are going for.

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ed_coffey

Old 10-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #299
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2246 Times on 1519 Posts
Likes Given: 2345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff
Is there a consensus on what volume to carb this beer to? I'll probably shoot for 3vols but just curious what others are going for.
I recall one one of the interviews with Vinnie where he said he'd dialed back carb to balance acidity. Not sure he gave a figure and if so, I can't remember. I think it was his most recent Sunday session, from '11 maybe.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #300
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe
I recall one one of the interviews with Vinnie where he said he'd dialed back carb to balance acidity. Not sure he gave a figure and if so, I can't remember. I think it was his most recent Sunday session, from '11 maybe.
Cool, I'll dig that up. Thanks for the tip.

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ed_coffey