root beer not carbonating :-( - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > root beer not carbonating :-(

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
mdfairbairn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Lakeside Park, KY
Posts: 88
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



So ... I made a 2g batch of Mr. Root Beer about a month ago. The dry yeast wasn't expired, but there's no fizz ... what the ?!?

Kept the bottles at ~70F for a week and then in basement (~65F) for another 2 weeks.

Any ideas? Should I dump them all back into a carboy and pitch new yeast then rebottle?

Thanks!
__________________
River Dawg Brewery - The Beer That Bites Back

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,415
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfairbairn View Post
So ... I made a 2g batch of Mr. Root Beer about a month ago. The dry yeast wasn't expired, but there's no fizz ... what the ?!?

Kept the bottles at ~70F for a week and then in basement (~65F) for another 2 weeks.

Any ideas? Should I dump them all back into a carboy and pitch new yeast then rebottle?

Thanks!
You could try just adding a pinch (literally, like two grains) to each bottle and recapping. There isn't any reason to put it into a carboy. I assume you have enough sugar to carb it?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
mdfairbairn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Lakeside Park, KY
Posts: 88
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Thanks ... It's definately sweet enough and tastes good even flat. I added both table and brown sugar per the recipe in double the amount since I was makin 2g at once rather than 1g.

Thoughts on kegging in a 5g keg?
__________________
River Dawg Brewery - The Beer That Bites Back

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,415
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfairbairn View Post
Thanks ... It's definately sweet enough and tastes good even flat. I added both table and brown sugar per the recipe in double the amount since I was makin 2g at once rather than 1g.

Thoughts on kegging in a 5g keg?
You could easily keg it and carb it that way. Remember that soda needs a much higher psi than beer- like 30 psi for soda at fridge temps- and so needs a much longer serving line as well to balance it (I think I had 25' of 3/16"). Also, dedicate one picnic tap and line to root beer as the flavor will NEVER come out. Ever.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Raenon
 
Raenon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
York, PA
Posts: 480
Liked 76 Times on 40 Posts


I thought that Mr. Root Beer was typically supposed to be a non-alcoholic product?

If you put yeast into the bottles with sugar for two weeks at room temp, the bottles should have exploded (or seriously deformed) as the yeast eat all the sugar that should have been there for flavor. Though their instructions dictate that it might take from 3 days to two weeks, I just can't believe that any normal situation would require that long, even with such a small amount of yeast (considering that same 2g packet is used in their 2 gallon beer kits, and fully attenuates in around a week)

A couple of days at room temp should have firmed up the bottles, which means it's time to store them in the fridge to allow the CO2 to enter solution. When they're ice cold, it's good to drink.

Something is definitely off here.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
mdfairbairn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Lakeside Park, KY
Posts: 88
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

You could easily keg it and carb it that way. Remember that soda needs a much higher psi than beer- like 30 psi for soda at fridge temps- and so needs a much longer serving line as well to balance it (I think I had 25' of 3/16"). Also, dedicate one picnic tap and line to root beer as the flavor will NEVER come out. Ever.
Holy bat guano!! That's a lot of beverage line ... May rethink and go the yeast route again. Cheers!
__________________
River Dawg Brewery - The Beer That Bites Back

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
mdfairbairn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Lakeside Park, KY
Posts: 88
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon
I thought that Mr. Root Beer was typically supposed to be a non-alcoholic product?

If you put yeast into the bottles with sugar for two weeks at room temp, the bottles should have exploded (or seriously deformed) as the yeast eat all the sugar that should have been there for flavor. Though their instructions dictate that it might take from 3 days to two weeks, I just can't believe that any normal situation would require that long, even with such a small amount of yeast (considering that same 2g packet is used in their 2 gallon beer kits, and fully attenuates in around a week)

A couple of days at room temp should have firmed up the bottles, which means it's time to store them in the fridge to allow the CO2 to enter solution. When they're ice cold, it's good to drink.

Something is definitely off here.
Mr Root Beer is more a near beer ... Since you naturally carbonate using the wine yeast in the kit the root beer will have a small amount of alcohol. However, you only use 1/4 tsp of the yeast packet per gallon of root beer. I used 1/2 tsp since I was making 2g.

I can't figure it out myself ... It tastes great, just flat. :-(
__________________
River Dawg Brewery - The Beer That Bites Back

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,415
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfairbairn View Post
Mr Root Beer is more a near beer ... Since you naturally carbonate using the wine yeast in the kit the root beer will have a small amount of alcohol. However, you only use 1/4 tsp of the yeast packet per gallon of root beer. I used 1/2 tsp since I was making 2g.

I can't figure it out myself ... It tastes great, just flat. :-(
I figure it was dead yeast, or at least nearly so. With the sugar, at room temperature and active yeast, I've had root beer carb up in 3 days before!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump