Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > How long can i keep dregs?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
cobolstinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How long can i keep dregs?

I have a few sour beers in my kegerator that im dieing to get into, but it may be up to a month before i attempt to brew my first one.

If i open some and pour the last 1-2 inches into a sanitized growler, will the dregs keep ok for ~1 month like that (kept air tight and at 40 degrees F)

Old 06-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I'd use them to make a big sour starter

Old 06-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 389 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yes, pour them into some starter wort and put an airlock on ot. The CO2 and alcohol will protect them and allow them to reproduce.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

how long do you think they will keep in a growler?

i have a odell saboteur, Boulevard saison-brett, Rodenbach Grand Cru, and another flanders red who's name escapes me.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolstinks View Post

i have a odell saboteur, Boulevard saison-brett, Rodenbach Grand Cru, and another flanders red who's name escapes me.
I've kept wild/sour/funky dregs in gallon jugs and large flasks for many months at room temp ~ low 60s. I usually add a tiny bit of maltodextrin and yeast nutrient to my starter wort and re-feed it some additional wort every couple months if additional dregs are added; that has worked for me.

And just FYI, Rodenbach is pasteurized (as are many commercial Flanders) and the Saboteur & Boulevard Saison-Brett (which is fantastic) are both Brett only, no souring microbes in what you've listed.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 389 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolstinks View Post

If you mean drink them tonight and make a starter in a few days, then go ahead. Long-term storage is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I've kept wild/sour/funky dregs in gallon jugs and large flasks for many months at room temp ~ low 60s. I usually add a tiny bit of maltodextrin and yeast nutrient to my starter wort and re-feed it some additional wort every couple months if additional dregs are added; that has worked for me.
Do you keep them in starter wort? Sounds like you do.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ok thanks for the input. I planned on brewing a cream ale this weekend so ill take 1-2 quarts off that wort and use it as a starter wort for my sour beers. When i do get around to brewing the sour ill probably pitch the dregs with a pack of Wyeast 3763 Roeselare to make sure i have enough yeast and bugs to get the job done.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Do you keep them in starter wort? Sounds like you do.
Yeah, sorry if that was unclear. I periodically can a bunch of starter wort and use that wort, adding a little malto & well-boiled oak cubes to it for sour dregs.

To the OP, your plan sounds solid, good luck with your brewday today.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolstinks
ok thanks for the input. I planned on brewing a cream ale this weekend so ill take 1-2 quarts off that wort and use it as a starter wort for my sour beers. When i do get around to brewing the sour ill probably pitch the dregs with a pack of Wyeast 3763 Roeselare to make sure i have enough yeast and bugs to get the job done.
I don't know about Brett or other bugs, but if you use hopped wort as starter wort for yeast, it will inhibit growth. Since Brett and other bugs do better in low hopped beers, I'm guessing the same applies.

If you took some wort from your cream ale prior to hopping, that will be just fine. I used starter wort with an OG of 1.030 and saw a lot of growth. I've read that 1.020 is better for dregs, so do as you will.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, NB Tonguesplitter v2.0, Ginger Beer, BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01) Primary: none Souring: None On Deck: Zombie Dust clone On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2015/03/26
Untappd: barrooze

Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Soma
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 for adding to a starter. I do this with my Cantillon/JP dregs and it works well.