Capturing Wild Yeast: Kauai - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Capturing Wild Yeast: Kauai

Old 06-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #11
RJS
Recipes 

May 2011
Kapaa, Hi
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

This will be the first barrel project in the monastery since the 90's.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
JLem

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts

Hey RJS - very cool project you've got going. Btw, you might find some good info over at the lambic & wild brewing forum. Several folks (including myself) have been playing with local, wild yeast fermentation. It's pretty amazing how well these projects can turn out. Good luck with yours!

My Beer Cellar

Old 06-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6807 Times on 4023 Posts

Cool project. BTW, that "barrel tool" looks suspiciously like a masonry chisel.

I've never done anything with a barrel. I'm intrigued.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
RJS
Recipes 

May 2011
Kapaa, Hi
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

ive since filled 2 barrels. been super busy renovating brewhouse, new stainless fermentors, stainless countertops in fermentation house, and brewing. we will see how the beers turn out in a year. Good learning experience because i can see why we stopped our barrel projects a decade ago. Its a lot of work trying maintain barrels when your also trying to keep production of our flagships going, with all the ordering, inventory, brewing, cleaning, et cetera. Im done with barrels. Leaks are annoying too. Even if you get a new barrel, out here in the jungle a bore bug can make 5 holes in one night. Im glad i got it out of my system. Of course, if more than 1 monk were involved i could see it being enjoyable.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	70518  

Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3189 Times on 1884 Posts

Alright, I'm bumping this old friend. I want to know what ever happened with the wild yeast capture and how the beers have turned out.

I'm on this interesting kick about sourdough breads/sourdough cultures, Rye beers and Rye Breads, and using things interchangeably. I'm thinking about brewing a small batch of rye beer with a sourdough culture starter, and baking a rye bread with the krausen from a rye ale (which was called a "Barm" in the 18th century.)

And also doing something like the Maltose falcons did with the King Midas beer and bake a sourdough rye bread that would be used to ferment the beer with naturally.

Michael Tonsmiers done some interesting stuff like this on his blog.

I'm also looking at culturing my own sourdough starter from my natural environment too definitely not as nice as Kuai though... more like Downtown Detroit (actually hamtramck) we have a lot old grape arbors with grape that the polish immigrants all made wine with back in the day that I'd like to see what I can get off their yeast this summer.

So I want an update on your wild brewing experiments.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
Aristotelian
Recipes 

Aug 2015
Liked 194 Times on 150 Posts

I can't imagine ever having a better job title than Head Brewer at a Hindu monastery in Kaui.

Revvy Likes This