Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing outside??

Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
jrc64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brewing outside??

Going to grab a propane burner this weekend as I really want to do full boils. Here's my question/questions:

1. Do you risk more contamination doing this outside?
2. Do I do ALL steps outside (i.e. boil, cool down using a wort chiller, transfer to fermentor, agitating and yeast pitch?

It just seems that doing all of this out side really ups the possibility of contamination, however, I can't see myself hauling a full 5 gallon boil from my deck into the house after boil for all the remaining steps.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

PS - totally unrelated....anyone ever combine sorachi hops with simcoe hops?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been brewing on my patio ever since I went from a house to an apartment. Its covered, but not as ideal as brewing in a garage. Still, i've never had any issues with contamination, although you still run the risk I suppose. I do move my brew kettle inside immediately after the boil though, and chill it down/whirlpool/etc, which I would highly encourage you doing as well. After the boil, there's very limited exposure to anything that could cause an infection (no more than brewing inside). Just my thoughts.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
cyclogenesis
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That is what a lid for your kettle is for..
I cut a notch for my Imersion chiller, just after I add whirlflock I put the sanitized (starsan spray bottle) on kill the heat and chill... Yep you run greater risk but when it is 80 outside I would rather be boiling out there than heating the house and causing funk..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I would say most brewers brew outside. No issues with contamination. Just because I live in an apartment, upstairs, here's what I do:

Mash and boil on my patio (turkey fryer), then move the boild wort to the kitchen sink, where I hook up my IC with a faucet/gardenhose adaptor. Everything from then on is inside, but that's not because of contamination, it's because of my process. I guess you could say hot-side outside, cold-side inside for me.

I also occasionally heat my strike and sparge water on my gas range, but not always. Depends on how I'm feeling, I guess.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Like one of the other responders I have a notch cut in the lid to my boil kettle. Very little space for things to get in. I suppose I could also put some tinfoil over the notch to completely cover it but it hasn't been necessary so far.

I drain directly from my covered kettle through a tube connected to a nipple on the lid of my fermentor, so I feel good that nothing will get in.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I brew in the garage. I'd prefer to just be out on the patio, but we typically have >15 mph winds ALWAYS, with some days above 35 mph. I don't really fancy making a dirt beer, so garage it is.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I simply don't worry about it. Never had an issue.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
jrc64
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Awesome feedback as usual! Gotta love homebrewing! You guys and gals are great! Thanks for the tips!

I think I will simply put some sterilized foil over any openings with the lid on over the wort chiller. I think I will be fine.

By the way....brewing my own recipe next week....Red Warrior IPA. Deep red beer with lots of Warrior hops and a touch of sorachi hops. I will keep you all posted!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
Pugalicious
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 27

+1 on the sterilized foil. That method has seriously increased my confidence in fending off contamination whether I'm brewing inside or outside. I cover the lid gap and the opening to the carboy as I'm transferring.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I brew in my garage.....but, my brew pot and burner are just outside the garage.....no worries....unless real windy...then you might have issue....

Upcoming Brews: Dusseldorf Alt
Kegged: Biermuncher Centenniel Blonde