Trouble Setting Regulator Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble setting the correct pressure on my CO2 regulator. I've read a couple of different methods for setting pressure, but none of them seem to work for me. Here is my problem:

I want to set the pressure to 11 PSI. I start by closing the shutoff valve coming off of the regulator. I then turn the screw to set the PSI to 11 on the gauge. It takes a minute or two for the needle to "settle" on 11, but once it does, I open the shutoff valve and the keg begins to pressurize. The problem is, the keg only pressurizes to about 6 PSI. So obviously this method isn't working.

I tried setting the pressure with the valves open, but after setting the pressure at 11 PSI and leaving the keg for a few hours, the pressure creeps up and reads about 5 PSI higher than what I want. Why is it doing this?

I also tried disconnecting the gas-in disconnect from the keg and pressurizing to 11 PSI. I then attach the disconnect to the keg post, and the keg only pressurizes to about 6 PSI again.

What am I doing wrong? :mad:

My lines are about 5 feet. I'm carbing at 11 psi, so I should be serving at the same pressure so my beer stays carbed. It's just a huge pain to have to keep readjusting the regulator after it overshoots the desired pressure. I basically have to release the pressure and start over again each time. It is a rather cheap regulator. Do higher quality regulators have the same problems?

Back