Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Trouble Setting Regulator Pressure

Old 06-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
NigeltheBold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Trouble Setting Regulator Pressure

I'm having some trouble setting the correct pressure on my CO2 regulator. I've read a couple of different methods for setting pressure, but none of them seem to work for me. Here is my problem:

I want to set the pressure to 11 PSI. I start by closing the shutoff valve coming off of the regulator. I then turn the screw to set the PSI to 11 on the gauge. It takes a minute or two for the needle to "settle" on 11, but once it does, I open the shutoff valve and the keg begins to pressurize. The problem is, the keg only pressurizes to about 6 PSI. So obviously this method isn't working.

I tried setting the pressure with the valves open, but after setting the pressure at 11 PSI and leaving the keg for a few hours, the pressure creeps up and reads about 5 PSI higher than what I want. Why is it doing this?

I also tried disconnecting the gas-in disconnect from the keg and pressurizing to 11 PSI. I then attach the disconnect to the keg post, and the keg only pressurizes to about 6 PSI again.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
Breweralex
Recipes 

How long are your beer lines? If your running a 2 foot line, 11 psi will be a bit high

Old 06-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
Breweralex
Recipes 

Let it "settle" with valves open and attached to the keg, let it creep up, then back it down.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My lines are about 5 feet. I'm carbing at 11 psi, so I should be serving at the same pressure so my beer stays carbed. It's just a huge pain to have to keep readjusting the regulator after it overshoots the desired pressure. I basically have to release the pressure and start over again each time. It is a rather cheap regulator. Do higher quality regulators have the same problems?

Old 06-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
Breweralex
Recipes 

Just creep readjusting up so you don't over shoot. Easier to get more gas in the beer than out of it.