Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - AG Cream Ale

Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #31
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5937 Times on 4232 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Victory malt would work, or some toasted malt.

I'm making this today, with a few changes.

I'm using regular two-row, and subbing .5 pound of pale wheat malt in. So, it's 7.5 pounds two-row, and .5 pound pale wheat. I'm also using nottingham yeast, and fermenting at no more than 62 degrees. I don't have any hersbrucker, so for bittering I'm using cluster. Other than that, it's the same!
Well, with the nottingham and mashing at 150, this finished at 1.004! I kegged today, and it's tasty.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #32
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Just made a half batch today. I wanted to try my hand at easy stove top all-grain. I think it went pretty well for my first time doing it. I first had too much water for my sparge so my pre-boil gravity was low by 10 points. So I boiled the wort for about 20 minutes before starting the 60 minute boil. That brought the gravity up to around 40 which I was ok with. I might have boiled it a little too long though because I only ended up with about 2.3 gallons instead of 2.5, which again I'm ok with. My SG was 1.055 which isn't far off from the recipe. I used about 6 grams of S-05 sprinkled right on top.

My basement is too cold right now (we are getting hit with some snow, finally) so I have to keep it in my house. I have it wrapped in a few towels to keep it warm until it starts going and then I'll remove them. After the primary 10 days, I'll move it to my basement for the next 10 days keeping it around 55 and then I'll keg and carb at 41.

Right now I have two Yooper recipes going (this and 60 minute) and I can't wait to try them both. Thanks Yooper!!!

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #33
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Holy BMC Batman!

I make this recipe on a regular basis for our gaming group. I used European 2-row with the last batch. I also went with WLP080 American Cream Ale yeast blend. The end product is so clear and the taste is clean, yet the malty character comes through nicely. I'm not trying to pass it off as a lager by any means but it's pretty darn close.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #34
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5937 Times on 4232 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

With thoughts of summer coming, I think I'm going to make up 11 gallons of this soon, and I'll try the cream ale blend yeast. I have US saaz hops, so I'll use those.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #35
bkorver
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use this exact same grain bill but Chinook for bittering and Cascade for aroma in what I call "Corinthian Cream Ale". v2.0 changes the grain bill to Pale 2 row and Crystal 20, (flaked corn stays the same, so similar body) but I prefer the maltier version and my wife prefers v2.0, so I make both. Your hop selection has me intrigued... I guess I am running to the Beer Nut (my LHBS) tomorrow to try it out!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #36
Toivo
Recipes 

Brewed a batch of this today, but ran into an effciency problem. Came out with a 58% efficiency. I did have an issue with my mash temp dropping more than usual. I ended up with a temp of 145 after the 75 minutes. I did put some 195 degree water in for sparge and let it sit for about 10 minutes which brought the temp up to 168. Second batch sparge was a bit cooler. Ended up with a SG of 1.040. I am still trying to get my loses nailed down. Wort does taste pretty good though.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #37
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toivo View Post
Brewed a batch of this today, but ran into an effciency problem. Came out with a 58% efficiency. I did have an issue with my mash temp dropping more than usual. I ended up with a temp of 145 after the 75 minutes. I did put some 195 degree water in for sparge and let it sit for about 10 minutes which brought the temp up to 168. Second batch sparge was a bit cooler. Ended up with a SG of 1.040. I am still trying to get my loses nailed down. Wort does taste pretty good though.
I've had efficiency problems in the recent past (won't go into alot of detail) and had OG 1.044 but the beer finished at SG 1.002 so the ABV% ended up about right for the style.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #38
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hey yooper!

I was thinking of making this to build up glob of WLP838 yeast for an octoberfest. Just curious if you have ever used this yeast in this recipe because I obviously want the cream ale to be good, but have never used this yeast.

Generally I was curious of what fermentation temp you use when you brew a cream ale to build up lager starters. At least I think I recall you saying you built up lager starters like this in the past

Old 11-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #39
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallybrewer View Post
Yoop, would you please convert this to an extract recipe?
This is a perfect recipe for a stovetop all grain batch instead of extract...or partial mash if you can't do a full 5 gallon boil.

I would use the "deathbrewer method" to mash:

3 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Flaked Corn
8 oz Bisquit Malt
8 oz Carapils/dextrine

then add 3 lbs Extra Light or Pilsner DME at the start of the boil. The end result should be pretty close.

Personally, I need something for the BMC folk at an upcoming party so I'm starting a batch of this tomorrow: but dropping the MO a touch, and swapping a lb of Vienna for the bisquit. Have not decided on the hops...have a leftover 1/4 oz of Motueka and Nelson Sauvain but that certainly is outside the Cream Ale guidelines....so pretty much the same but totally different.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #40
noobiebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Gonna' brew this bad boy tonight
Only my second batch of AG ever wish me luck!!