Cream Ale AG Cream Ale - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Cream Ale AG Cream Ale

Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Liked 115 Times on 69 Posts

I did this one 3 1/2 weeks back. Fermented @64 with US-04. Tasted so good I took a second hydrometer sample. I can't wait to try this when it is carbed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas

I've done 14 batches now, and I've gotta say so far this one if my favorite.. a definite brew over!!

I'm having a party next weekend and I'm hoping nobody likes it so I can have the whole keg to myself!

Quote:

Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #13
billtzk
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Dallas
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I've been looking for a lighter ale with greater BMC-drinker appeal, and this one sounds pretty good. It seems sort of Miller-esqe with the corn. Is it?

I'm thinking of using Paul's Pale Malt instead of Maris Otter. They're both English malts. I believe Paul's is a shade paler on the Lovibond scale and a bit less malty than Maris Otter.

One other thing I'm thinking of changing is the percentage of corn. 10% of your grain bill is corn. I might try bumping it to 20%. I think Miller and Coors are in the 30% range.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7722 Times on 5424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
I've been looking for a lighter ale with greater BMC-drinker appeal, and this one sounds pretty good. It seems sort of Miller-esqe with the corn. Is it?

I'm thinking of using Paul's Pale Malt instead of Maris Otter. They're both English malts. I believe Paul's is a shade paler on the Lovibond scale and a bit less malty than Maris Otter.

One other thing I'm thinking of changing is the percentage of corn. 10% of your grain bill is corn. I might try bumping it to 20%. I think Miller and Coors are in the 30% range.
It is kind of Miller-esqe. My dad said it was "almost as good as MGD", so take that for what it's worth.

I think you'll be happy with the pale malt instead of the MO. I love MO, but a less malty flavor would be good in this for BMC drinkers. I have no idea how much corn is "too much" in this recipe- so be sure to post back afterwards to let us know.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas

I had a party last weekend and almost half a keg of this stuff magically vaporized (and the guests were quite ). It was all the rage.

Next time I will drop the biscuit to 1/4# and bring the gravity down to 1.045. I think 1# of corn is perfect, and I use MO for everything that doesn't use Pils malt because I love the smooth maltiness it gives.

Quote:

Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #16
billtzk
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Dallas
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I brewed a variation of this a couple of weeks ago and racked it to secondary this past weekend. It looked and tasted great when I racked it.

I made a 10 gallon batch. I used 15 lb of Paul's Pale Malt instead of Maris Otter. I used 4.25 lb of flaked corn because I wanted 20% of the fermentables from the corn. Hallertauer Traditional instead of Hersbrucker, which I couldn't find. But still basically your recipe.

Will update in a few weeks after it has aged.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
I brewed a variation of this a couple of weeks ago and racked it to secondary this past weekend. It looked and tasted great when I racked it.

I made a 10 gallon batch. I used 15 lb of Paul's Pale Malt instead of Maris Otter. I used 4.25 lb of flaked corn because I wanted 20% of the fermentables from the corn. Hallertauer Traditional instead of Hersbrucker, which I couldn't find. But still basically your recipe.

Will update in a few weeks after it has aged.
Bill, you made me laugh out loud. You changed the base malt. Doubled the corn. Changed the hops. But still gave me the credit!

J/K- I know the base malt is similar, etc. But I think YOU can take the credit if this beer turns out as good as I think it will!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Rochester, MN
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is this similar to a New Glarus Spotted Cow?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolstinks View Post
Is this similar to a New Glarus Spotted Cow?
It's been a while since I've had Spotted Cow, so I don't really know. It would be a similar style, but I think New Glarus calls theirs a "farmhouse ale". Brewmeister Jeff tried a Spotted Cow clone, and he used Saison yeast, and I think he said that his wasn't a good clone.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #20
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Rochester, MN
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I saw you were comparing this brew to 'BMC', what is that?